Hemp Dinner in Chicago

Not an expo or national event, but if you’re near Chicagoland it’ll be a fun night out.

Illinois is in the very beginning stages of Cannabis Rec, so I’m starting to organize dinners open to the public to make the topic of Cannabis more approachable. Most of the events I’ve seen in Chicago are either networking or marketing pop-ups to sell a specific retail product, so I wanted to offer a culinary experience where guests can learn to associate foods they know by identifying Terpenes in foods they are familiar with, say Terpene pairings. For example, the Chef plans on serving a Buratta with roasted beets, Black Pepper and Arugula which will give me an opener for Beta-caryophyllene. Link to 2/1/20 event below:

I know it’s not the first of its kind anywhere, but it would be a good opportunity to meet up if you’re nearby.

3 Likes

Man, the FDA may jump all over this. They have a lot of tools at their disposal. The interstate commerce clause could probably be brought to bear.
If not then it will be game on with Cbd and THC at the rec state level. Nightclubs, restaurants, and bars will go crazy.

1 Like

We did something like this in Seattle (with THC teehee) Good luck!

annata dinners

3 Likes

@EVFarm, it’s murky water for sure. It’s my understanding of the FDA’s position that fault lies in the act of marketing a product for consumption as a cure to illness or disease. The tools at their disposal, while impactful, are to protect consumers against misinformation, which makes events like this necessary. People in pain are vulnerable to the suggestion of a “cure all” and the FDA is “responsible for protecting the public health by ensuring the safety, efficacy, and security” of goods. Additionally, as this is a local event and this is not a product that can be bought or sold by means of “interstate” it would not fall into the category of commerce in which the FDA concerns itself.
Most bars, coffee shops and a multitude of other brick and mortar stores presently offer CBD infusions to their beverages. I personally have no interest in a liquor product, but there’s certainly a market for it or the energy drink mixed drink wouldn’t have consumed the turn of the century.

Thank you! I’ll keep planning them until they do go well and when traveling I hope to be able to attend similar events wherever I go. A dinner with all the cannabinoids could become the norm if all goes well.

2 Likes

The FDA is also concerned with food additives and supplements. They have already ruled that CBD can’t be an additive to food and it’s not a dietary supplement. They will not willingly let this fall out of their jurisdiction IMHO. That would likely only be done by legislative means. And the interstate clause is definitely in play if they want it to be unless all the meal components come from Illinois which is impossible.

1 Like

@EVFarm The FDA topic is certainly interesting, isn’t it? Perhaps you might start your own post to open up a discussion about it. I would be happy to continue that conversation with you and others if you choose to do so.

Ok, will do. But I support the efforts of the OP, I think they are doing a wonderful thing.

1 Like