Hemp Derived Cannabinoids in CA Rec Market

Hey,

I’m seeing a lot of products on the CA Rec. market with CBG and CBD and I have been wondering how people handle this with METRC. Are people buying hemp derived minors (very cheap) and using that in products as a non-tracked ingredient or are they using extracts in METRC that are high in CBD and CBG (expensive)?

Thanks for any insight.

4 Likes

I’ve been wondering this myself. Been seeing a ton of “sauce” carts with 60% THC, a pinch of THCA and 10% CBG. I’ve seen plenty of high THC strains come out with 25-30% THCA then 3% CBGA in flower (~10:1) but the ratios in these carts just screams “hemp” to me.

Adding 10% CBG can be good for consistency and minimal crystallization but I think some brands are sneaking in hemp derived cannabinoids to cut costs. What’s more unusual is the same brands will have these almost exact ratios on all their different strains.

In Oregon METRC there’s a few different routes to get hemp products into the rec space but basically anything that gets brought into a rec processing facility/wholesale/dispo needs to get ported into metrc and receive the same required testing as THC product. I’m not sure about California but I would image it’s similar.

In METRC we have a tab for ’ external transfers’ from a non metrc source.

4 Likes

But why would you add CBG? It crystalizes more readily than just about any other cannabinoid.

Exactly, we can get a metrc tag for CBD or CBG Isolate. Only in CO and OR.

2 Likes

I’m thinking for products with specific ratios, like 1:1 THC:CBG or THC:CBD gummies you see a lot.

@PharmExOregon so you’re saying in Oregon you can get hemp derived products, transfer to your license and get testing done, then use it like any other cannabis ingredient?

Not in low concentrations

A handful of states permit hemp derived ingredients and even cannabinoids in regulated marijuana products.

The new Connecticut adult use legislation for example expressly permits this practice.

I work in MA, and am thinking about reversing the CBD → d8 reaction to make CBD from d9 just so we don’t have to waste canopy space growing CBD flower in metrc.

1 Like

Yeah, so I’ve got an ODA hemp handler license AND an OLCC certificate that allows me to sell hemp and hemp derived products into OLCC up to 5 % thc. I sell some direct to OLCC shops and wholesales and some stuff to OLCC processors for use in other products like bulk terpenes and isolates.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

Don’t think that will work in CA to my knowledge, but I feel like with compliance there is always something to learn lol

Dougsvarin.com
Looks like their site is down, but they had d8thcv in licensed Cali market dispensaries.

1 Like

Yea sorry me n the boys shit out some hot hemp last year and had to shit it back out into D8

This message was endorsed by the Chinese Communist Party