Hemp-Crete Construction Workshop @ University of Michigan

Hey all my Michigan friends, come check this out if you’re free this weekend!
If anyone has any questions about building w hemp or the industrial fiber hemp industry, let em fly!

Registration: The Why & How of Building with Industrial Hemp Registration, Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 9:00 AM | Eventbrite

15 Likes

Damn that’s awesome.

3 Likes

I’m all about it, but is hempcrete an approved building material?

3 Likes

Yes! The US Hemp Building Association proposed the addendum to the International Code Council January of last year and it was adopted into the International Residential Building Codes. So now there is ground to stand on when youre bringing your building plans to your local municipalities! Some building departments are still very iffy on any unconventional building types but usually if youre working with an architect/engineer and a licensed builder, that will sign on your project you’ll be all good to go no matter what.

8 Likes

It will be adopted in 2024’s IRC appendix - specifically as non-structural infill for single story residential structures only. But agreed overall, working with a legit A&E+builder who have experience in the locality makes stuff a lot easier

Really wish I could make it this time around, but too short of a notice for me. Do you know if this workshop will be conducted again in the future?

2 Likes