Help with source of 0.5 micron 6" diameter filters

Trying to source 0.5 micron filter papers or pads for the bottom of the CRC. Finally delving into this area and have been on the sidelines due to concerns over silica particles, warranted or not. Either way I’d rather err on the side of caution.

So I need something that is 6" diameter. Paper, pads, wad, whatever.

Thanks.

Pretty sure @Filterman9 can die cut filter papers of any size for you.

1 Like

@sonicgardens didn’t you find papers that were down this low.?

If look up Utah bio diesel or something like that, they sell a sintered disc w/ a gasket that is down that low, but they are kinda poorly made and could take much better care in production and still make something decent.

Yes they are pricey though. Tried a couple and these didnt break

https://www.sterlitech.com/polyethersulfone-pes-membrane-filters.html![Screenshot_20191119-092722_Chrome|236x500](upload://ur5brzbJOxaDlnhV68qNmbtJbvg.jpeg)
Glass ones dont hold up to butane. I also put a 25 um on top of it to get a tight fit. I dont double or triple these at the price point

2 Likes

Agree with utah biodiesel, they grinded the face of my disc to scratch the pore size in it.

It didn’t even occur to them that doing that would screw the disc up in that part…

I’d say avoid them all together for now, for what they charge, it’s a substandard product.

Which is a shame, because it’s a good idea I think.

2 Likes

I completely agree. I would like to find out who they order these from and have them made better. I definitely have the people that are capable of doing it.

Arborfab is the manufacturer

They have the same items for sale on their site as well

http://arborfab.com/6-Tri-clamp-Super-Filter-Assembly_p_165.html

ive purchased a few sintered discs form arbor, they work, but they arnt the prettiest thats fursure.

Here are some images of a 5 Mic arbor sintered disc, the imperfections may not affect functionality, but its sure ugly.

The 1 mics i have from them have the same defects and engraving.

I much prefer the welded style discs that @Killa12345 has, I bought a 1 mic from him and its been one of the best discs ive ever used.

The arbors are cheaper, but you still need a filterplate for them, or else you blow through them

1 Like

Yeah, it works, but the fact they sanded the fuck outta a corner irked me. I can deal with rough looking, I’m pretty rough looking too, but they purposely ruined the item, and when I mentioned this, they didn’t even think of that.

I mean I’m reading skin oil can clog the .5 micron pores, so I know sanding it really screws that up.

Oh, and I ordered a 1 micron and they sent a .5 and acted like I was rude for pointing it out.

It’s a damn shame, and I wanted to look into getting some made myself, but that where my motivation ended.

But I know for a fact these things can be done much better, probably for much cheaper as well.

2 Likes

yeah thats like 5% usable surface area gone :rofl:

Here’s a picture I took when I received it.

And that brown shit took some work to get off too

1 Like

dudeeeeee thats way bad thats like a quarter of the usable surface area ground down

yeah it took soaking in a sonicator with solvent for a day or two
to remove all the manufacturing residues

Yep, and when I told them, they went on the defensive immediately.

So I said fuck it, told em they lost some good cash from probable referrals, and wrote the 80 bucks off.

This was dealing with utah biodiesel though, not sure how arborfab would have handled it.

It looks like something I made myself with my dremmel and hacksaw lol.

i think the dude buys plates of sintered metal and then cuts the circle via CNC plasma table, then deburrs the edges by hand with a grinder.

probably coasts him next to nothing and 15 min to make, i gotta give it to the guy, total hustle

especially with the 1k+ “superfilter” or whateer he calls it lol

No doubt, I started looking into getting disc made on alibaba and sourcing the gaskets, but got distracted by something else.

I imagine you could get these made ridiculously cheap if one were so motivated.

You mean the 300 dollars in triclamp parts lol?

1 Like

add a plasma table and your in business

yeah right? rofl straight hustle

1 Like

I actually contacted a couple of sintered filter manufacturers here in the states to get prices and stuff.

That always my problem though, is the follow through…

Really appreciate that feedback as your one of the smartest chemist on here. Appreciate ya always brotha!!:facepunch:

1 Like

Thanks!
You aren’t kidding about the price.