Help with making Shatter Carts

was thinking in the shower and had to come back

the reviews on that hot plate are filled with it just not working and being a defunct product.

Do you have the hotplate and it works? I feel like that one is hole and ur better off buying the 200 ones, but if you have it and it works, then thats another take.

Yes I have several and I have no issues with them. I know of several other people who also have had the same ones for years w.o issues.

1 Like

I’m trying to fathom why such equipment is needed for small quantities of shatter. I’ve been making this with an open blast tube, some filters, beakers and non-stick matts for the last half year, batch after batch.

I can maybe see why a controlled hotplate for decarbing might be handy but frankly open air decarbing fucks with the product and I just have no time for it. I would rather winterize it and add 0.02 of diluent and another 0.02 of canna terps and have it flow, rather than decarb it and risk fucking up 3 days work.

… okay maybe also for general heating and purging under vac… But can makeshift something with a double boiler and a infra heat monitor. Like go full on bear grylls with it. Decarb in the sahara sun on a camels back

and my pussy ass is trying out ardent’s automatic decarber.

device acts like a mini oven

@lexiiii121
imma try with the hotplate too

edit: this device sucks, ended up getting the hotplate @ky_cbd recomended and it has been working since the time this was posted originally

1 Like

Decarb with the lid on? Any benefit to this - I assumed it had to be open

ahh I was also afraid of decarbing with the lid on as I don’t know the benefits to cons

im decarbing thca crystals so i don’t have to worry about terps being burned off but if I were to use a terped starting material I wonder if keeping it closed will help keep terps in, but I am also not sure if that will keep some gasses in there that I don’t want. (not experienced)

i was going to experiment that myself.

but I’m reading this thread to help understand myself

just not sure if pressure applies to closed lid or an inert gas

very easy way to decarb is just put any undecarbed extract in a mason jar then cook it with the lid on to preserve terps in a oven at 205-225 until it stops bubbling. make sure you use a jar that’s at least 5x the volume of the extract youre decarbing so it doesn’t overflow. itll start bubbling a lot once it heats up so make sure to Burp the jar and swish the extract around in ig to mix every 10-20 minutes to relieve pressure. When the bubbles lessen a lot after an hour or two you can wait longer in between burping. after it’s decarbed let it cool down to 140-170 then just mix terps back in (sauce preferably) and load into carts

1 Like

The “weedy” taste is from the cannabis terpenes in your shatter. Start with distillate and don’t cut it

nice so ill leave the cap on. thats not gonna leave dany dangerous CO2? or does it escape once opened?

It slightly builds pressure but just untwist the mason jar ring and you’ll hear it release the pressure. There’s definitely no dangerous c02 you have to worry about. Your first few times I’d put the mason jar in a bowl or tray of some type in case it overflows when it starts bubbling a lot but that’s it! towards the end i tilt the jar so the extract goes on the side of the mason jar then tilt it back and if there’s bubbles on the side then it’s not done

1 Like

You will definitely still want to decarb… if you haven’t seen by now you will in a few days. It’s one thing to leave a little bit of sugar in your HTFSE since they can get away being suspended in the excess of terpenes but generally speaking shatter is going to solidify over the course of the next several days if you neglect to decarb.

It’s possible you decarbed partially already while you were mixing and/or purging but I would expect that oil to recrystallize soon, if it hasn’t already. If anything I’d be more concerned if it didn’t recrystallize as that would suggest there is something in there that shouldn’t be.

I was just writing a post and chatting to the people I gave my carts away to and yes, this is what’s happening. One report of white shit showing up in the cart and the other has gone hard.

This is with a partial decarb, liquify and canna terps. I think the liquify I get from MyTerpenes in australia is the same as the mass terpene one

1 Like

Lighter that hoe upside down

1 Like

nah don’t use the liquify man nobody likes cut carts. the white shit is probably thca crashing out so just decarb it more next time

that’s the only way y0

The percentage of liquify used is minor. Like seriously minor. That and the Canna Terps. I wouldn’t go inso-far as to say they’re significantly cut but it’s a matter of practicality… sigh

so if you dont decarb the shatter enough it’ll be really thick and you’d probably have to thin it somehow so it doesn’t clog but if it’s decarbed all the way, adding 8-10% terps will make it perfect especially if its cannabis terps

10% is way, way too high. It will taste like complete shit.

not if you’re using canna terps! 10% food grade is what most people do but I’m with you that’s too high, i do less. I’m talking 10% total terps so if your shatter already has 3% youd do 7% more

2 Likes

10% total is fine if there was a way to measure the amount of terpenes left in the product. Sadly ther isn’t in my case. And yes ofcourse I am using Canna Terps from reputable suppliers and you have to be super careful how much you add or else it will taste like a terpy mess and hit like shit