Help with making Shatter Carts

What made it premium in your eyes?

5 Likes

Damn. So you’re suggesting I mix in distillate, shatter and terps together? Any suggestions on ratios and when to introduce the distillate to the shatter?

I believe you chose shatter based on smell. Next time get the cheapest, most tasteless crc you can find

This time you can mix with disty and add slightly more terps

EDIT: the amount of terps you add depends on the amount of distillate. They should make up 5-10% of the distillate being added (based on strength ) and match the terps already added to the shatter

3 Likes

Or, flavor your distillate with the terpy bho. A centrifuge is pro, but 20% bho in a cartridge makes for a good weedy tongue.

2 Likes

Strangely enough I did exactly as advised. So I went back to using organic diluents because I no longer want to decarb the shatter. ! minor drop of Diluent and one minor drop of canna derived and my carts now are excellent. No longer will I need to mask flavors. I get a nice shatter taste and terpene taste now and it flows.

So the thing that turned me off Diluents or “organic terpenes” was that I was told specifically by someone “in the know” to steer clear as they contain phytol and are toxic.

Otherwise the product is basically a cheat code to concentrates. I only add one drop because my stuff is winterized. When I contacted MyTerpenes, for example, we were met with a non-response to its vaping safety nor given ingredients. That experience turned me off from the beginning, and went on a tirade about how quality matters and diluents are the devil.

Having said that, I am enjoying my 1 drop to 1 gram of winterized concentrate. I am enjoying it so much, I have my family breaking my backside to make them some.

3 Likes

Using shatter, you get hemp/cannabis terps. Adding 1 drop of botanical terps per gram gives a very complex flavor that customers love.

If using distillate, 3 parts hemp terps to 1 part botanical terps is OFF THE CHAIN.

2 Likes

If I were going Disty plus terps plus shatter… I am wondering what I would need diluent for…? That shit should flow like the ganges.

But the thing is the taste of shatter is… alright. If you don’t decarb it and it doesn’t go to tasting like decarbed asshole then it’s actually half decent to vape and taste like… oil. The Terpenes I buy just give it that kick that lets you know what you’re having, plus being canna derived I bet it alters the high to something unique even if subtle.

1 Like

People decarb too hot, I like to decarb partially. Just reach the melting point…

3 Likes

That’s what needs to be done if you want to get the terps back in. And also if you wish to use any carriers. But yes too hot is an issue that will generate that burnt taste.

1 Like

watt i just dropped over 200 on just a digital hotplate from there

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073FLH5R9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Mv-QFbQ0ZE7HH

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JH4LX68/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_ET-QFbWWMS106

2 Likes

oh yea I seen that one, but idk the reviews just made me unsee and not count it.

but u right deff under 100 setup

That hot plate works fine, if u ever need another one give it a try.

I replaced my link above to Pyrex beakers. They are a little more expensive than the previously linked karter ones but are worth it IMO

Edit: hot plate is also not your only answer. Most air fryers (convection oven) can be set to 150°f or lower which is great to stick a beaker in for a few mins. Just back fill the beaker with argon and place a lid on top before sticking it on heat

3 Likes

was thinking in the shower and had to come back

the reviews on that hot plate are filled with it just not working and being a defunct product.

Do you have the hotplate and it works? I feel like that one is hole and ur better off buying the 200 ones, but if you have it and it works, then thats another take.

Yes I have several and I have no issues with them. I know of several other people who also have had the same ones for years w.o issues.

1 Like

I’m trying to fathom why such equipment is needed for small quantities of shatter. I’ve been making this with an open blast tube, some filters, beakers and non-stick matts for the last half year, batch after batch.

I can maybe see why a controlled hotplate for decarbing might be handy but frankly open air decarbing fucks with the product and I just have no time for it. I would rather winterize it and add 0.02 of diluent and another 0.02 of canna terps and have it flow, rather than decarb it and risk fucking up 3 days work.

… okay maybe also for general heating and purging under vac… But can makeshift something with a double boiler and a infra heat monitor. Like go full on bear grylls with it. Decarb in the sahara sun on a camels back

and my pussy ass is trying out ardent’s automatic decarber.

device acts like a mini oven

@lexiiii121
imma try with the hotplate too

edit: this device sucks, ended up getting the hotplate @ky_cbd recomended and it has been working since the time this was posted originally

1 Like

Decarb with the lid on? Any benefit to this - I assumed it had to be open

ahh I was also afraid of decarbing with the lid on as I don’t know the benefits to cons

im decarbing thca crystals so i don’t have to worry about terps being burned off but if I were to use a terped starting material I wonder if keeping it closed will help keep terps in, but I am also not sure if that will keep some gasses in there that I don’t want. (not experienced)

i was going to experiment that myself.

but I’m reading this thread to help understand myself

just not sure if pressure applies to closed lid or an inert gas