Help with Leaky column

Column started leaking from the bottom rigjt above the ball valve at around 20psi thinking maybe the column was packed too tight but solvent wouldn’t escape if that was the case. Currently Freaking out. Any help out there?

Leaking from the tube itself or from the clamp?

2 Likes

What kind of clamps are you using? And whay size pipe?

1 Like

And how bad is the leak.

1 Like

Your clamp is certainly not on tight enough or your gasket is faulty. These clamps can take 300 psi

4 Likes

Clamps on tight, just switched to ptfe gasket and they’ve been a bitch

1 Like

I was just about to say, ptfe gaskets do not work well on my rig… I dont even use mine because they cant hold pressure past about 30 psi when i do a pressure test.

Such a shame :frowning:

1 Like

Jeezus 30 psi :scream::scream::scream: okay I’ll make sure NOT to use those anymore

When u made the switch to PTFE gaskets did u pressure test your system? They harder to get seated right and take way more torque!

Always test her out when adding something new, and leave at least 24hrs at 100psi

3 Likes

is NOT normal. Just my experience i like to use viton or buna.

5 Likes

Definitely viton or Buna. I like Buna best

2 Likes

My PTFE gaskets are envelope gaskets, viton core…

Although I have just PTFE on couple after collection, they do fine but take a good bit more torque than viton

If it’s gaskets I’m removing a lot I don’t prefer PTFE

I switched back to denatured alcohol just bc that reason…bc PTFE a bitch, but can be done

2 Likes

Ive come to the conclusion theres an imperfection in my collection chamber spool. Although I don’t seem to notice it, it looks like ptfe gaskets will seat correctly but wont seal even under the correct torque.

1 Like

How bad is the spot…I thought the same thing, was in touch with my supplier about and everything…
I sent pics the spot I was concerned about he told me I’ll get …

I did… But if it’s not a permanent gasket ,viton all way…ptfe only for one I hardly take off , I just don’t use acetone anymore, not worth the 7degree

3 Likes

You mean acetone for dewaxing?

Also is there any way to pressure test without the aid of nitrogen?

1 Like

Compressed air…fill empty system w 100psi compressed air…lock her down, walk away

@710enigmatic is right it takes SO much more for me to seal my PTFE gaskets

Half the time it takes a lil more than the torque wrench setting for it…not w viton though

2 Likes

Ptfe gaskets need more torque to seal I believe it is 50ft lbs . Tightening of clamp should be even on both sides . Viton and buna gaskets are only 20ft lbs. do you have a torque wrench?

2 Likes

Also no obstructions of the gasket couldn’t tell u how many people I’ve go to their set up and their gaskets and triclamps are covered in material or plain dirty af, even a filter overlapping the gaskets. Get a brass brush and clean your triclamps and clean your gaskets. If so. When u tighten the clamp make sure you hold the other side of the bolt with a crescent wrench also don’t iver torque it cause the brass nut could strip and it can pop off. Be safe

1 Like