Help with clamp (lol)

Yes they do let’s hope they ship so this problem is much easier

Get a die instead and retread the npt

(Although I’m with @TwistedStill. Welding is a great skill to acquire!)

5 Likes

A threaded ID would be perfect.

Is there a demand for these 1/2 MNPT to straight thread adapters?

This would be an easy job to sub out to the shop I uses to work at. These wouldnt cost much if I had them run a bunch…group buy at cost if people are interested…

3 Likes

Wait wait the clamp is 1/2 fnpt so I’m not following by using a die

1 Like

Honestly probably not, this is just because open source steel sells clamps with not fittings on them which makes 0 sense at all lol

take regular bolt.
make it 1/2" npt.

with die.

solves no?!?

Edit: can’t wrap my head around taper via die. suggesting lathe is better tool for that trick. once learn stick metal together, is need learn chew it apart :wink:

4 Likes

Taper in a die is simple, you just have the teeth go deeper the further into the die. Tapered dies are much more picky about threading from the correct side. IMO, cutting threads with a taper in a lathe is considerably more work given the amount of setup necessary to use a taper attachment.

Don’t know where OP is but if anyone in/near Colorado needs lathe work or custom threading PM me, I have a 17x40 lathe that’s fully tooled.

1 Like

Lathe turning pipe threads on a manual is hell, taper attachment or not. Find a plumber with a pipe threader if you want to go that way

2 Likes

I’ve held NPT dies in my hand (never used one), so clearly I’m high and overthinking the problem. :roll_eyes:

can you disagree with;

a tapered die gets you a taper of a set length.
followed by straight threads at the min OD.

whilst on a lathe one could taper to point (theoretically).

not the problem at hand, but my excuse for getting lost. :wink:

1 Like

@cyclopath

Can’t disagree with the theory that a piece of round stock run thru a tapered die would always come out at the min OD, though in practice I think you would have problems especially with a material like 304 or 316, given that a pipe die probably isn’t meant to keep cutting very far past the end of the piece being threaded. Especially with stainless I like to use Castrol Moly Dee for threading to prevent breakage and galling.

A lathe with a taper attachment you can absolutely taper threads to a point, though the mechanics of that would be dependent on how long the taper attachment can span, what diameter threads and what the taper is (for NPT it’s 1.7899*). Certainly it could be done, though it might take multiple setups on a larger diameter thread.

2 Likes