Help with Chinese rotovap

Just got a 50L Chinese rotovap delivered today.

I went to wire it up but i just want to make sure I’m doing it right (plenty of electrical experience, just confused on colors of wire and lack of diagram)

So the motor control unit has a 240 plug on it, so that’s straight forward. The water bath has 3 wires one red, yellow, and green. I am assuming this is 220, and should be wired like a 3 wire 240 outlet (2 live and a neutral), but the yellow wire is throwing me off since they are always black/red when getting something made to code, and I want to make sure I don’t fuck this bad boy up before I even use it.

1 Like

Red and yellow are your hot wires and the green is your ground

4 Likes

That’s what I Thought just wanted to double check.

China was unable to help me out with that one, bit you get what you pay for

Thank you!

The green wire does have a label marked earth.
Red is marked live.
yellow is null which is a little misleading but its safe to assume its not the live or earth so it would be neutral.

6 Likes

That’s what has me tripped up,

If it’s 240 there would be 2 live wires and a neutral/ground. It’s how most 240 was wired back in the day, they just make you run a neutral and ground now (4 wires RBWG).

If it was 120 then this would be the case. But the electrical information says 7000w/220v (in pic) on the motor control housing. There is no way that motor is pulling 7000 watts so it must be for the whole unit (motor, controller, and bath) even though they are separate and should each have their own information on the electrical boxes.

All they gave me was a picture to go off for assembly and a 3 page book with zero instructions :man_shrugging: Thats China for ya…

1 Like

Not entirely true, most 220v applications in this industry will be 3 wires, especially when its country of origin is china. they do have a 3 phase 380v though.

3 Likes

I’m just basing that off of residential code which requires all 240 to be ran with neutral and ground now a days. good to know that is normal in the industry and with things from china, I had no idea!

I just finished getting it all hooked up and turned on, seems to be working just fine. can’t wait to see it in action tomorrow!

3 Likes

In countries where 240V is the norm, it’s delivered with a hot and a neutral.

In countries where 120V is the norm, 240V is achieved with two hot legs.

You wired it correctly. So did they.

It’s wiggly (~) anyway, so the directionality of the electrons is irrelevant. :shushing_face:

8 Likes

I just love that.
You trace them back to the box and they are both connected to ground.
That standard must have3 been written by the wire and cable industry to increase sales.

1 Like

@cyclopath is correct. I had to figure this out for our own chinese rotovaps.

American 240V has 2 120V hot wires in 180degree opposite phase.

European 240 has one 240V hot wire and one true neutral wire.

Unless you specifically ask for American wiring, the Chinese default is usually to go with the european scheme.

In practical application, the rotovaps shouldn’t have any electronics that depend on having a true neutral or are phase dependent. This leads me to believe that you could wire the hot/neutral wires either way and it would still work. Edit: I’m not 100% sure of this conclusion, don’t sue me if you end up frying your rotovap electronics.

That plug configuration has no neutral. It’s two hots and a ground.

The Chinese don’t change their wiring harness for an American or eu model. Same cord. that’s why it looks like that. It can also be a blue, a brown and a yellow with a green stripe. That one really seems to mess people up

2 Likes