Help, my oil crystallized during recovery

So, I’m doing a FF run. Solvent -60C, recovery 30C, using a corken pump. I was doing hotswaps, and while running my last sock for this batch, I noticed crystals on the side of the recover vessel. When turned off my pump I noticed huge formations in the shatter bowl. I had to pop it off to remove my extract as I wasn’t able to pour. I thought dissolving it back in butane might work, but it just crystallized further. This was supposed to be whipped into badder. What’s my best option? Should I just throw it in a diamond miner and let it finish crystallizing? Can I get it back to a homogenous state that will let me whip it properly? Need help.

This number is not as relevant so much as the pressure, which may help to indicate the actual temperature. I’m sure your heater says 30c, but a thermocouple would likely read 0 Celsius

2 Likes

You can absolutely still homogenize the batch just fine and get it to a badder state, just let the pan finish crashing or just start mixing and breaking up the sugar chunks now and then let it crash out the rest of the way.

check out Its not iSoBuTaNe! A theory for cause of "Medusa"

you are most likely dealing with a contaminate in your gas and its causing your solution to fast crash.

5 Likes

I’ve seen this situation in my cup under two conditions:

1. When dealing with the fast crash/medusa gas. I suspect this is your issue, and you’d do well researching the workarounds people have figured. Welcome to the club. If you extract for a living, you have to find a work around for this issue. People have posted many things that seem to work, and I use a combination if multiple factors.

2. When I recover cold (ie: forgot to plug the heat chuck back in, derp, derp). This situation ocurred when I had a mild gas contaminant issue still present, so to what degree the puck was caused by each, IDK. But, a corken is a powerful beast and can pull enough to cold crash if mated to a flagging heater.

The third variable I’ve found that makes this more prone is THC rich/large runs. There’s just more THC to crash out. That’s probably why it presented itself in the last sock. Once you see some crystals on the sides of the column, buckle up…

Overall, yes, you can still whip badder. It might be a little grainy. I think the fast gas off gas can hurt terps.

One final thing I’d tell you to do is just observe how the fresh drop off gases/behaves. If you have a good idea of how your normal, clean gas blend works the fast crash situation should be visually apparent.

2 Likes

Looks like you just over recovered. It would have likely dissolved in the butane you added back if you gave it enough time.

But all is not lost. Just heat the whole batch as warm as you are comfortable heating it, to the point where it is easy to squish with a tool, and whip it. Repeat the warming/whipping as necessary until a badder texture forms. Think of it as mixing in granulated sugar into a cookie batter mix. It’ll homogenize eventually!

The first picture is the formations removed from the rest of the extract. I poured pretty wet.

hmm, ok. any odds you have uneven heating in your recovery vessel? maybe the areas in which you saw significant crystallization were heated more than other areas.