HELP Lube in distilate

You did catch that @beebuzzy was the one who suggested using our favorite lube/thread sealant?

They may not have all the pieces, but certainly offered freely from their available cutlery…

which imo qualifies as spoon return, and is how this place should operate.

2 Likes

Grease is nearly impossible to remove from distilling.

Ok. This is the Tek. Ready?

Take carbon chunks and wash them with a alkaline brine wash. Super alkaline.

Rinse with heptane.

Your extract put in heptane.

Take your carbon and put in a 2x12 tube or something like that. Start drip feeding the top. Should take considerable time to go through.
Continue drip. The thc doesn’t like the alkaline environment but the grease does. It will grab it out. Rinse over silica to remove carbon. Neutral wash with water. Remove heptane. Bam. Colder than room temp helps. I’ve heard rumors ethanol works too. Issue is if you fuck up you can’t just go to a water wash and neutralize.

3 Likes

So 3 years later you finally put the tech out to removing grease from distillate after teaching in classes to use grease on all the joints?

We all switched to using distillate as lube a year ago. One of the main reasons I switched to a wiped film from short path was to not have grease in my distillate.

To the op: either use distillate as grease for any joint distillate comes in contact with or get a wiped film. No matter how careful you are with grease you’ll end up with it in your distillate on some runs. I use to keep some tails in the oven to use as grease at all times. Just dip your finger put on the joint and push it together and spin. I’d also recommend once the bf and head are together to almost never take them apart. Distill alcohol through to clean it if you need it.

1 Like

? I believe I have distilled grease out of distillate, you can see it condense on the glass fingers of the distillation head. I used dow grease and the tiniest drop made my distillate cloudy, re distilled and it was clear, granted I dont have acess to much in the way of analytical gear, My testers and I thought it came out pretty good.