Help, lab and extraction expert has no advise for friend's indoor grow

I have been extracting and consulting on buildouts, equipment etc etc for almost 20 years and am very good at it. Recently a friend asked me to help with their personal grow and I provided the buildout and equipment.

Veg vent phenomenal, no issues, massive plants flawless. Not in about week 4 of flowering everything has changed. Beg fan leaves are turning yellow (all of them) discoloration of leaves started on top and worked its way down most of the plants (see pics). PH seems to be spot on, temps in the room also spot on… I’m wondering if there is some root damage (what caused this I don’t know, maybe they overwatered). The nutrient load is about 1100-1300ppm … coco media and the coco gets periods of washing to get rid of salt buildup. There have not been too many water only waterings with most of the waterings being with nutrient with a few “water only” waterings. I am just a lab guy, should the sun leaves be cut off anyway??? The regiment has switched to mid flower nutrients… I am not sure if this is a root issue, nutrient deficiency… help??? Temps are not too high… just started CO2 enrichment… I figure they have about 4 weeks to go, way smaller than expected (maybe due to the lack of CO2 until the last 3 days). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Do you all got a microscope

4 Likes

I am thinking bugs. There are white specks of something on the leaves. Possibly russet mites, maybe aphids, but aphids should be visible in the pic. Mites seems more likely.

3 Likes

I think it might be hungry for more nitrogen. Looks wrinkly and is losing color. Could be wrong but that’s my 2 cents.

Although it might be a dogpile at this point. My mentor always told me one problem is one problem, two problems is 100 problems

3 Likes

I really don’t think its bugs or infestation of any kind, the rooms was clean, I mean super clean, sealed, vacant… everything was done in Azamax before entering and they have sticky traps everywhere… I just don’t see it… also it coco medium so… less chance of bugs. When I chop them down I’ll check the roots??? Mag glass on the roots and the leaves??

Where should I look… that said see below:

I really don’t think its bugs or infestation of any kind, the rooms was clean, I mean super clean, sealed, vacant… everything was done in Azamax before entering and they have sticky traps everywhere… I just don’t see it… also it coco medium so… less chance of bugs. When I chop them down I’ll check the roots??? Mag glass on the roots and the leaves??

Well I admit I decreased the N as we are in flowering… and it started at the top and moved in to the sun leaves, usually a N problem is systemic, affecting all the leaves.

1 Like

Could be root infection by a mushroom, due to a too high temperarure in the feed tanks and/of lines

the one time I did coco I had to increase my cal mag pretty heavily maybe that could be your issue?

1 Like

Is this a sealed room that you JUST started using co2 in?

3 Likes

You seem pretty confident it’s not bugs, but someone thought douching everything in a systemic pesticide to start things off was a good idea…

2 Likes

How’s the ph?

1 Like

I had this problem for a year straight (about 4 runs). When I started flowering i cut out my veg nute and switched to flowering nutes. My most recent run I keeped up with my veg nute and added my flowering nute into the mix. I have not had a problem and this run is about complete. My plants looked exactly like yours. Started yellowing from mid/top. I am no expert grower just stating what worked for me.

what are you using for nutes?

1 Like

This part looks like broad or russet mite damage…
Do you have a microscope/loupe?

7 Likes

Looks like autumn colors to me. Maybe they are flushing more than they are letting on? If they started way too early - the leaves can get brown and spotty, even dry and brittle.

I’m used to seeing leaves folding up if there are russet mites - but you’ll know for sure if you check under magnification. And you’d probably have mentioned damage to other parts of the plant (stems, branches, etc.)

You mention water only waterings - and these look like autumn colors, which hits the biggest leaves with the least light penetration first, yeah? Flushing too hard - the plant is pulling back its less necessary nutrients cause it thinks it needs to do so. Seems to me like it might just be too hard or too soon.

1 Like

I say bugs as well, where did you get your soil did you plant clones or seeds?

2 Likes

Could be a series of things or like usual 1 out of sync/harmony point in time. Without dissecting your room, methods & actions were all guessing.

A loop or macro camera would eliminate or confirm a pest issue.

No CO2 when they start to push flowers hard your going to have stagnated plants…this list goes on.

On the leaves, all different ones, check for anything that could possibly be eggs or 6- or 8-legged bugs. Check in the area where the stem splits into the fan leaves. Scope is so crucial right now!!!

1 Like

I had never had russet mites until I bought trays of clones. They are so tiny that I thought they were a fungus or mildew.

1 Like