Help identifying unknown peak from CBN conversion

I recently took THCA powder and attempted to convert some of it into CBN without using solvents of any kind. Trying to mimic the things that would cause that conversion to naturally happen, Light heat and oxygen. I was able to increase the cbn content of this material. The input tested at .128% cbn and the output tested at 8.18% so it definitely worked to some extent. I know there can a lot of weird stuff to look out for during conversions. Even though there were zero solvents or metals used at all in the process I am still concerned that there could be possible unintended byproducts created. I asked the lab and they said there was a small unexpected peak around 8 minutes on the chromatogram. They also said that they believe the peak is typical in distillate products in varying amounts. I was able to get the absorbance spectrum from the lab as well. I have attached both. Trying to find out what the unexpected peak is and ultimately whether I comfortable consuming this product myself. If anyone could help or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
1stcbnchromatagram

CBN can photo-oxidze into CBND. Cannabinodiol.

There’s a paper on reacting CBN in ethanol to isomerize to CBND.

On a gc it shows just before CBC with a mid-polar column - which fixes the CBC/CBD from swapping spots like with a nonpolar column and forces CBC to come out first.

3 Likes

Thanks, I will definitely find that paper.

This was a reverse phase column so I don’t think we should expect cbn to elute before cbnd

Thinking possibly a hydroxylated cannabinoid such as a trans-cannabitriol

My guess would be exo-THC(delta 11). Very common to see in a process using heat degradation and oxygen. Hit up @kcalabs they helped us get our exo sorted. Though that was more than a year ago.

3 Likes

I wondered about them but wasn’t sure if I could send them stuff from Norcal. Guess this thca could be from hemp. I will look into delta 11 next, thank you.

1 Like

Bhbahahaaaa realy seperated by chromatography
But tell you what I and ( god I forgot his tag) have done extensive r and d on
This subject and I can try to find the chromas in the stored boxes
Never identified all the peaks but maybe I have similarities
Most comon peak on my trails turned out to be cannabinoid quinones

Personal opinion if no chems where used it won t kill ya since I dabed
The distillate from this process for months 28% cbn
There is more info in a tread I started in 2018 think it was like cbn creating or something

Thanks for the @. Yes, we can still help sort out exo and other THC isomer questions. I’ll ask for some input on this one tomorrow.

Do you have a standard for CBNA? That spectrum is indicative of an acidic cannabinoid due to the secondary peak.

2 Likes

Thanks @Roguelab some knowledge dropped in that thread for sure. @kcalabs I will check with the lab that did out original analysis and get back to you.

CBCA SPECTRUM

CBNSPECTRUM

@kcalabs I have been in communication back and forth with the lab and they emailed me last night stating that one thing they noticed is that its uv spectrum does have similarities to CBNA and CBCA. Sort of a mix between those and CBN. I am not sure how helpful that is but maybe there is something useful.

If they don’t test for CBNA we’d be happy to analyze it for you and give you a COA reporting the CBNA content.

3 Likes

The lab also thought the middle peak could be indicative of an acidic cannabinoid. They do have a standard for CBNA but neither the spectrums nor retention times matched up. Digging into the Exo thc that @WolfeXtracts mentioned and the quinones that @Roguelab mentioned next.

1 Like

Sounds good, we’ll be here if you need a second look.

1 Like