Help Fam - First Pass on SPD

I greatly appreciate everyone that replied. I’ve aborted mission for the day.

Going to continue once my Vacuum Pump, Vacuum Gauge, AI single cow distributor adapter w/PTFE .

1 Like

Good job !:+1:
Ok your setup has to long vacuum lines ( tubing) make them as short as possible
Also whats in thecoldtrap dry ice ?

4 Likes

Dry Ice in cold trap.

Use new vacuum lines, short as possible. Isopropyl (or acetone?) in the cold trap with the dry ice lasts longer colder.
What you got for vacuum grease at your glass fittings?

1 Like

Apiezon PFPE 501 for vacuum grease. Also, will change out Vacuum lines too.

Thank you =)

1 Like
  • Better insulate your virgreux by tightening the aluminium, get the air out!
  • Replace vacuum grease by distillate
  • Run without cold trap and change your pump oil after the session (exceptionally)
  • Remove vapour temperature thermometer on first pass to avoid leak possible point (use it on second)
4 Likes

Thank you El_Profesor for the recommendations, I greatly appreciate it. Can you expand on “virgreux”, I’m not sure what that is, my apologies.

CD-0058-008b

1 Like

You can also take that vac gauge off and see what happens til youget a better one. Those are junk and usually have a big leak. Take a flashlight at an angle and look for the “smoke” to give you and idea where you leak is. Even a cps vac gauge is only 125$ or so and bulls eye 500$

I just finally integrated a REFCO ECO-5 and Edwards 28 vacumm pump to my 5L Short Path. However, I’ve had it running now for about 30 minutes on the small REFCO ECO-5 pump, and hovering at 8600 microns.

Is this normal?

It’s not normal, how many CFM have you got from these pumps combined? Are you certain there’s no leaks in the glass, like a thermometer adapter or something? you need to get below 300 microns to distill and in the double digits (sub 100) to distill well. Optimally down to single digits if you can make it work. In my experience those plastic vacuum connectors leak like a bitch, also that thermometer adapter on your flask is a major leak point. Try to chase down your joints and possible leak points super good, see what your vacuum depth is after running for half an hour. If you’re having trouble with the vacuum adapters and thermometer use ptfe tape to tighten the joints and then hit that with a bit of vac grease, just don’t overdo it.

2 Likes

Run it with your Edward’s and compare vacuum level

I think he only runs the small pump which is not suitable for spd. Anyway why combining them?

5 CFM on the REFCO and 21 CFM on the Edwards 28, our plan is to use the REFCO to pull Terps/nasties and Edwards for body.

I’m pretty sure I have a leak in my thermometer adapter, because I’m not using the original sealing gasket. I had to order a new one last night. Also, I shortned my tubing as much as I can.

Let me send a video on the new setup. Thank you Fam =)

The goal is to upgrade to a Full Bore system. Any recommondations fam is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

1 Like

I’d remove the cheap pump and change oil often on the Edward. Then try to find out where your leak is by bypassing your cold trap. If vacuum works fine then it’s likely to be the thermometer and DUMPSTERFIREOG gave you the right tips
Let me know

2 Likes

Bypass your cold trap just to find the leak. Dont run your system without it

I didn’t even look at what kind of pumps they were tbh. I use two Alcatel 2021i pumps and they’re fire when used together. Each one is 29cfm and I usually run a 2-5L system depending on the day. I only asked because if combined they have acceptable cfm and aren’t causing leaks it’s an immediate solution even if it’s just a finger in the dyke. Ultimately he’s gonna need a better vacuum system than what he has.

Yeah that will do it to you for sure. Get some ptfe tape and tape that bitch up with a dab of vac grease. It’s not perfect but it’s a lot better and think about getting a ground glass thermometer well for it. They’re cheap and work good.

Run it without the Cold Trap?