Hello I am needing help making my distillate lighter

Hello I need some serious help getting my short path system dialed in, I’ve done a few runs now and come out with dark distillation. Need help getting a lighter to gold product. I am also wondering if my starting solution is to dark.

Only one pass?

What exactly do you mean by one pass ? This is my oil/solvent mixture after being scrubbed with summits carbon powder a. Is it to dark

I think that he thought, as I did, that those were pics of your distillate. If that is your enriched solvent your color is good. If your distillate is dark you are likely running hotter than desired which is likely attributed to a higher pressure in the system than desired… More vacuum!

1 Like

Yes that is my crude solution I guess you would say after being scrubbed one time with a carbon powder a from summit and passed through a silicate base over a 3 micron filter paper. I then load that solution in the system and are ending up with dark distillation in the end. I know my micron levels weren’t low enough to get a lower boiling point so I went out and bought a huge double stage 24 cfm rotary vane pump to replace my si gle stage 12 cfm and still ending up with dark distillation. I have been thinking the whole time that the basic setup I purchased from open sources steel here in Washington wont allow me to make better product. This is what the system looks like after a few modifications and I am going to make more modifications to have a full bore set up or I guess they call it laminar. Can the hoses really be so restrictive that I’m not able to get a good vacuum. I’ve checked for leaks and dont have any.

What boiling temp is ideal with what micron levels I’ve been told 500 or smaller on micron and 200c range is where I want to be is that correct?

What pressure are you achieving?

At 500 microns of mercury 200C makes sense. Very hot! 10x lower pressure would help! Probably bring the boiling point closer to 180 or 190C…

1 Like

So I want my boiling point down in the range of 180-190, how would I achieve that? A bigger pump. I’m running a 5liter setup and was told a 20+ cfm vacuum pump would work. Obviously the bigger the better but I could only afford a 24cfm pump which is double the amount t I was using and I was getting down to 1000 micron with a 12 cfm so I figured with a 24 cfm I should be down in the 500 range, I’m waiting on one part to show up to be able to use my digital gauge again so right now i have no idea what micron I’m running at. Would those rubber hoses be what is restricting me a bunch? Should I switch from rubber hoses to metal bellows and one of these so its wide open passing to pump.

Is there a vacuum gauge on your system? Are you sure you are achieving the pressure your pump says it can achieve? Vacuum leaks can be though to find. Threaded fittings are notorious. Those systems have their limitations but can potent distillate light in color…

1 Like

Boiling point lowers with lower pressure. Knowing your pressure is critical…

2 Likes

I am waiting on one part to come in the mail Tomorrow so I dont actually now what my micron levels are currently. I just assume that if it was 1000 with a 12 cfm it is half woth a 24 cfm pump

When your part comes in test it out. What pressure can you achieve with the rubber hoses? Any difference if you remove those perceived restrictions? Good luck!

I’m also waiting on a bunch of parts to come in from my custom guy so I can change my system from rubber hoses to metal bellows and valve adjustable

Our crude is third from the left. Main body distillate second from the right. Made with a System like yours.

O wow your product looks way better then mine

I just pulled this off today, the lightest distillation
I’ve made so far.

Looks good! Put that in a 1 ml container and I bet it looks like gold!

1 Like

I’m shooting for this color or lighter everytime just gotta get more vacuum. Dam rubber hoses

That type of tubing is porous I believe