Heavy Metal Levels in Fertilizer/Soil

You should look into Bio 520, I’m working with the guys in a couple grows. They have planted a majorly contaminated field and half with the product and half without and it blocks all contamination from getting into the plant and I know what you’re probably thinking but I was completely skeptical when I first heard about it and not to mention you plants will grow about 2x faster and you can check out this video where it germinates completely in less than 18hrs see the link below and if you mention my name you will get $250 off your first gallon. It also comes in a pellet and is all natural minerals. Reference Brian Tribble when you order and let them know about the $250 off your first gallon and you will be blown away by this product!

This stuff is more than the real deal and it does way more than just what I’ve mentioned in the comments

1 Like

I have, but once I have the numbers I am having trouble understanding them, and if they will cause a build up.

What is that stuff? The msds says a “a compound of water soluble minerals.” Most products that offer growth stimulation claims like that have more than just minerals In them. I wouldn’t touch the bio520 unless there’s ingredients listed or a study like https://dl.sciencesocieties.org/publications/cm/abstracts/3/1/2004-0803-01-RS

1 Like

I’ve been a grower for 8+yrs. I’m currently testing and phenohunting 4 strains. Imo, it’s all seed dependent on “cracking and germ” times.
My latest cracked and has a 1/2" tap root after 24hrs in just plain tap h2o.

Tap h2o in a shot glass, then into paper towel in a zip lock after 24hrs if need. Then sow 24hrs later. No fancy water needed.

K
I
S
S

2 Likes

Sown directly into proper soil works just fine too, but this thread is about Heavy metals :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hemp has been suggested for phytoremediation.

Rumor has it, it bioaccumulates heavy metals.

which is going to make math from label claims problematic to say the least.

1 Like

I’ve been chatting with a member here about where heavy metals may have been introduced in their grow. Some of the most common amendments may be introducing contamination that would fail testing.

• Rocks dusts and Azomite is a huge contributor to heavy metals in cannabis. It is in an inorganic free metal form that can accumulate in cells.

• Kelp tends to have some heavy metals, but it is organic, meaning bound to carbon or oxygen. Shrimp from the grocery store has much more free arsenic than most kelp.

• Cow and horse manure can accumulate not just heavy metals but chemicals like glyphosate as well.

• Rice hulls- Rice may be high in Arsenic, but the hulls may actually reduce Ar contamination

• Well water- our well water changes about 3x per year depending on what farmers are doing with their surrounding fields. Heavy metals could quickly be introduced to the water supply.

• Most bagged soils are tested regularly for heavy metals, so it’s not a likely source.

• Humates (like fulvic acid) have trace amounts of organic heavy metals, but they are almost always chelated (bound) to other substances. Because it acts like an electrolyte, free fulvic acid can actually transport heavy metals out of plant cells. They are used to remediate waste sites as well. Humates may be a good hedge if your testing levels are close to passing. Water extracted fulvic acid has dramatically less heavy metals and more free fulvic acid (That can chelate free metal ions) than hydroxide extracted products.

It is always important to test your water and inputs regularly to prevent heavy metal contamination. I suggest a lab like New Age Laboratories.

5 Likes

Guano.

Plant growth regulators make the plant suck up heavy metals. When you see those round pgr buds, look at the coa.

3 Likes

You can mimic PGR buds that were popular in the 90’s/2000’s by using soluble silica all the way through flower.

4 Likes

good info here! Id say a few things to add since I asked this question

-Chicken manure can have arsenic
-Running a higher ph 6.8-7.1 can lessen uptake
-Some science suggest that HM’s are stored in the roots and stalks, so remove those from beds/compost/test

3 Likes

These are all great tips. Chickens definitely can bioaccumulate any kind of heavy metal or pesticides from the soil or water.

1 Like

Organic inputs are chock fullof heavy metals and forver chemicals.

Some worse than others.

The plants these inputs come from are used to clean up heavy metals and toxic spills due to them just being little sponges and sucking it up so the products that come from them are inherenly toxic as we live in a toxic world.

The way things are going it doesnt seem like living soil or using organic inputs will be a thing much longer in licensed cannabis cultivation that requires these tests.

sterile grows and clean rooms will be the future

2 Likes

I respectfully disagree, plenty of living soil operations showing profit in states that test. Sure if the lobbyist from the hydro industry keep pushing for heavy metals it will be a bigger issue. But sterile rooms and rockwool is suit talk imo. Does tobacco test for HM? Does your food? does your gucci sweater ? You know what im saying? Putting those vibes in the air is wishing for pharma to take over.

All inputs should be tested when operating at scale, organic or not.

3 Likes

Plain salts are lower in heavy metals. Raw input suppliers are usually glad to provide a COA upon request.

My company happily hands out COA’s in every batch produced. Chelators like fulvic acid lowers heavy metal content in biomass if it is present in soil or a raw input like magnesium sulfate.

2 Likes

Interesting. Antioxidants, which fulvic is, do the same thing in people. They bond to, or react with, idk the chemistry, heavy metals and keep them from accumulating in the body.

3 Likes

Great observation- Antioxidants and organic acids like fulvic acid. Even citric acid as a complexor instead of a chelator.

1 Like

Not just inputs, but consumables too. We had a few mystery heavy metal fails that we finally tracked to a specific brand of non-powered latex gloves.

3 Likes

Wow. I had never considered that. I love how people tested the heavy metal content of rolling papers on F4200 (RAW won hands down). I would love to see testing on something like gloves.

2 Likes