Heating mantel variac questions

fucking awesome.

you would be swimming in pussy down here talking like that.

1 Like

…IF they have not been trained on your process load…

switching the power on and off works really well to control the speed of my car (15kHz I believe).

4 Likes

" If " is one of those words …

1 Like

It is.

have you run the auto-tune on your PID?

or read why that is important, or how it works?

Inanimate objects often appear broken if you haven’t asked them to do what you want. Or trained them to do it correctly. is it really their fault?

3 Likes

yep so the question and as I have not done it I will not attempt and answer is

how ?

linked up thread… post three.

here is for the AI

1 Like

will check thanx

That made my split tea across the room with laughter.

4 Likes

that’s not how you use tea :wink:

7 Likes

Ok, I got to show you this … Out of curiosity I’m trying to find instructions for the mantle that will arrive with my kit to indeed see if it has the " work properly button " we speak of and i found this pdf.
https://www.usalab.com/content/USA%20Lab%20ZNCL%20Heating%20Mantle%20Maunal%20v2.pdf

Two things bother me slightly in the document.
1: If self adjustment is needed note that it reduces time to heat,
accuracy is improved when the mantle is in a different altitude or the amount of liquid reaches above the edge of the mantle.
( ALTITUDE !? What exactly are they suggesting ? )
2: Wet hands, spills and high humidity environments may allow
electrical induction to travel through the insulating cover. Ensure
proper ground and do not use if the leak is severe.
( SEVERE !? If you experience convulsions, check for proper grounding. If you wake up on the floor, do not use )

:joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

im looking at it now.

this alone tells me if it can be done this should do it

“PID –Algorithmic temperature control with self adjustment and high precision”

I think this is it.

To start self adjustment hold the + heat key for 5 seconds until “Lc” is displayed. Change the value to “27” then press “Heat” Change the value from “0” to “1” Press “Heat” again to return to the main menu.When the volume of liquid is large or the viscosity is high increase the stirrer speed

2 Likes

so ideally this should be done for every different batch of crude or every time the temperature probe is moved ? So that the PID response rate stays correct ?

Or is this over the top ? lolo

I’ve only ever built pwm based ac heater circuits but this may be an option to expand on for better control.

I’ll do some more digging once I can get back to the workshop tonight.

1 Like

I love arduino so usefull but not really plug and play.

not sure black beard I would say only if you are using massively different volumes of liquids
in your distillation.

2 Likes

Arduino …
Programing is something i’m useless at :sob:
I saw a topic a few days ago where someone rigged a vacuum probe to they’re computer. It made me think " I wish i could program, I would try to make a Distillation app lol"
So that a computer could be used to monitor vacuum and temperature.
Then one day possibly connect a solenoid to a variac to control temperature.
I really do want to start with the laptop/arduino vacuum guage…

Reading the coding … Reminded me of when I was in school trying to learn Turbo Pascal, Furthest I got was a rectangle that would bounce around the screen, changing size and colour . So im certainly a long way off my hopes and dreams of a multifunction distilling app. lol

Honestly, if you were able to build an animated ui in Pascal, you may be closer than you think… :grinning:

I’ll post soon (so to not jack this thread) but I too have been expanding on the 901p vacuum sensor. I have a fully expandable distillation controller in the works with temperature and vacuum monitoring so far (controls are next and it’s built on my custom iot “homelab” framework I have been building). I wanted to finish circuit design so I could offer it as an extremely cheap alternative to current spd vacuum sensors. Dm me if interested, I can try to get more info tonight.

3 Likes

I must say I am extremely interested in any arduino tech you have thank you.

and ye coding pascal though graphics like black beard is talking about in pascal is easy
is about the same as taking input from an io and then sending it to a program that is already
coded.

2 Likes

Sure thing! I’ll post up what I have so far when I get home. Im planning to open source it and hopefully interest some smart people here to get involved.

2 Likes

@dp621 - That is awesome ! I will be very interested in following what you get up to.

@squig - Yes, what i did in Pascal when i was 14 years old was not rocket science, but at the time I felt like Bill Gates ! :joy: :joy:

1 Like