Heat transfer fluid for hot condenser tek?

Dynalene PG-XT seems like it will work for this application and is cheap enough. Thoughts? Anyone else use this? Other recommendations?

https://www.dynalene.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Dynalene_PG_Technical_Data_sheet-020620.pdf

Will be using with a Polyscience AD7LR-20 heater/chiller circulator

I use thermoltek HTF

Edit: switched to dynalene HC-50 it works just as well.

1 Like

Duratherm S. Its probably cheaper and works great been using it in rotos and hot condensers for yrs with almost no degradation

4 Likes

I think your supposed to use silicone oil that’s what my polyscience manual says for high temp

1 Like

Yea found Duratherm S for cheaper so will go with that.

1 Like

How cheep can u share a link I actually need sum to lol

IDK if it’s actually cheap at all.

1 Like

O ya I saw tht lol what can ya do

Let me see what my buddy charges at his store for the duratherm s

I used polytherm from polysci but it became too viscous at lower temps (10c) and wouldnt pump through my Huber. It worked great at 190-200 but not so good cold so keep that in mind

Depending on how hardcore you want to get… Dowtherm T-66 is one of the most stable heat transfer fluids on the market and is rated for temps well in excess of anything we’d use in our industry.

Has anyone tried using VG aka glycerin?

ASTM is/was looking at putting it back in automobile antifreeze, and the BP looks promising…

1 Like

Since it’s food safe it should be good as a heat transfer fluid in food applications too

I will probably try this on my big depositor when i get it been looking for a food safe heat transfer fluid

2 Likes

I was yust gona recomend that or
Avocado oil

Only for heating thou
Not for chillers

2 Likes

I actually have used glycerin in my rotovap for years, it’s cheap and you can clean it with water; a rare blessing. I tried it in my hot condenser for my short path and it works, but the pump motor has a hard time until it heats up and loosens up (I have a Huber kiss which I can’t preheat the fluid before turning in the pump). It’s good in a closed system and you can probably push it to about 130-140, at 160 it will start dehydrating, though I’ve never pushed it that much. I don’t go any higher than 110/120 in my rotovap because it starts to evaporate (you can see glycerin vapor) and that’s all I need for a good purge. As long as it doesn’t dehydrate it lasts a long time too. I’ve had the same fluid in there for like a year or two.

I have also tried vegetable oil like @Roguelab suggests, I do not recommend this, even at 90-100c, the oil oxidizes quite readily and begins gumming up and charring even after like 10-20hrs of use. I still have the heater and it smells like rancid oil when I open the top despite switching to water and flushing like crazy.

1 Like