Heat Guns

I didn’t know where to post this, but hope some of you guys have a solution. We use heat guns a lot around the farm. We use them for heat shrink, pre-heating some stainless, etc. We go through at least one monthly. Yes we disassemble and twist the wires together, like an old dryer and even solder them back together.

We have used Dewalt, Craftsman, Bauer (which ironically last longest) and a few others. None seem to worth having. Do you guys have a heat gun suggestion that is a little more robust or do we just have live with inferior products?

3 Likes

I’ve used Wagner for years, and they have always held up for what I needed. I do tend to give them breaks when the heat reaches its top end, even just a minute off is enough. I worked auto and marine upholstery for a few years, only used Wagner and didnt go through too many.

7 Likes

I used to work in a tint shop for a few years doing auto glass.
When doing tint you use a heat gun a LOT to form and work the tint to the shape of curved windows.

The only heat guns that lasted for us were milwaukee, tried every other common brand and they all took a shit after a month or two while we had milwaukees that were working when i started and still working 2 years later when i left.

10 Likes

I’ll agree to the giving them breaks. That has helped, but they are still junk. We can pick up a Wagner and a Milwaukee and see which one is better. Any other suggestions are still appreciated. We keep 4-5 on hand at all times and usually at least one is getting repaired.

2 Likes

Have you tried, or thought of a gas instead of electric? Like the little butane ones from the snap-on guy, the ones for heat shrink, but obviously larger.

1 Like

We use Ethanol, so they’d be no bueno. We have some Mapp gas torches for outside work, but inside we just cant risk it.

You’re heating ethanol with a heat gun?

4 Likes

No, but an open flame in a lab that uses Ethanol extraction could be one of those articles posted about hack lab blowing up. We don’t consider ourselves hacks :slight_smile:

What specifically do you use the heat gun for?

1 Like

Seconded for Wagner

Wagner 0503064 Furno 750 Heat Gun Amazon.com

Been using these for years never had one fail. I do have one that has a suspiciously long cool down after powering off but it’s annoying so I just unplug it when I’m done :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

He stated it at the beginning some Heating stainless, shrink wrap etc I assume that heating up bottles if he’s pouring any oils heat guns are useful in my op

3 Likes

I just want to say please do not use a heatgun on anything with ethanol still remaining. Its still a way to ignite solvent.

5 Likes

Agreed. I’ve taken a small amount out back and did that exact test. 1400 degrees will make ethanol blow up.

2 Likes

I would like to add if there’s a harbor freight which I think is Bauer I think that’s what I have it’s nice lightweight quiet and I’ve dropped two and broken something inside all within a year and harbor freight just swaps it out.

Try that route

Thats what we do on the Bauer (Harbor Freight). The others we keep repairing. I don’t like being dishonest and taking back ones that have made it past their year warranty. It also sucks bringing one back 12 times in a year. I’ve had warranties cancelled before at Sears on Craftsman tools. Had to travel a half hour away for those warranty claims.

1 Like

I feel ya but harbor freight knows their business model and it’s worked for them. Now only if they could keep 12 ton presses on hand.

Past warranty means it did its job in my opinion but under hell no I won’t go

1 Like

Mac and snap on have lasted years with daily use

1 Like

no no :rofl:

1 Like

To add insult to injury, just lost my second heat gun today. The heat wire split in the middle. FML

I can tell you I had one of the harbor freight ones burst into flames on me when trying to remove a bunch of decals on a car back when I detailed cars. Avoid those for sure haha.

3 Likes