Health Canada releases canopy growth report on phytol as a diluent

Tldr: Phytol = death

Leafly article: What is phytol and is it safe to vape? | Leafly

6 Likes

The same is going to be true for pretty much everything that constitutes as a terpene. That’s why you don’t use terpenes to cut things. 5, maybe 10 percent (but even that is unnecessary).

Side note: this story first ran almost exactly one year ago but everyone ignored it. Always thought it was weird when the news normally thrives on anti-vaping content. What was more unusual to me was that the only news sites that picked it up August 2020 were finance sites writing about Canopy and other Canadian pot stocks. When I see something is deliberately being reported exclusively on stock market news sites I have a hard time trusting it as “science.” So admittedly I am skeptical of the entire study for this reason.

Phytol may or may not be worse than other terpenes (probably, being petroleum derived), but a human is not going to expose themselves to anywhere close to this concentration of terpenes from a cart that wasn’t deliberately cut. Regardless, it’s all a waste of time because there’s no excuse to use phytol when CBC and CBT are abundantly available for manufacturers. HTE+ D9 is all you need now. 10% CBC or CBT if you insist on it being a little thinner (or live in a colder climate).

4 Likes

What about HDT(hemp derived terpenes)

And I agree with you. This is far to young of a study, to vague and even leafly’s summary of the “vape crisis” was shit as it was proven heavy metals from bad hardware, bad D9 distillate and yes cuts were to blame for it, but Vit-E was not the main culprit imo. We aren’t supposed to really be ingesting or really even touching/handling certain heavy metals like lead, arsenic, mercury, cadium etc. much less vaping them.

It just seems like another jab at the vape side of the industry imo. But he is right about us being guinea pigs. I could and should go into more detail but I wanna hear everyones thoughts.

And they constantly forget about synthetic terpenes, i.e. food grade/artificial that are truly carcinogenic to the human body which imo are the terpenes that cause health problems as they’re synthetic, we have no proper data on the health effects, except that any effects are “unknown” per the FDA and in Canada considered toxic, of food grade terpenes from what I’ve seen. Feel free to correct anything I’ve said here, I’m open to learning more about this so we don’t stay being guinea pigs.

What are you asking about hemp terpenes? If theres an amount that’s harmful to humans? Of course. I cannot wrap my head around why people think just because something came from cannabis that it is no longer harmful.

8 Likes

The idea of cannabis being a panacea combined with the existing cultural and legal stigma that have traditionally surrounded it, can lead some individuals to believe there can be nothing dangerous about it or about it’s components, due to it being treated unfairly and demonized in recent history and even at present in some areas.

It’s a kneejerk reaction, that goes beyond reason since some people can feel quite strongly about it. I mean, it makes sense, people have had their lives ruined by pigs enforcing draconian law for some time. Easier to view things in black and white about the plants and it’s contents that way.

Furthermore, to some, to accept such a concept may cause feelings of dread and discomfort, as they might worry that it would give those who have demonized the plant and ruined so many lives, fuel to keep peddling their lies. Not wanting to be complicit in this, not wanting to mentally give them any authority, they cannot accept something that might lend credence, however inconsequential, to the unjust system and it’s perpetrators.

I suspect it can also stem on a base level from being fed propaganda against weed from authorities in life, realizing it was all lies, and as a consequence not trusting anything that might be construed as negative about the plant since it reminds them of the people that lied and manipulated them, or come from a lineage of folks lied to about it.

6 Likes

That’s not quite correct, there are terpenes with different molecular weights - e. g. monoterpenes don’t usually cause such problems when inhaled in concentrations that aren’t irritating to the mucosa.

Higher molecular weight compounds that are highly lipophilic will all cause alveolar inflammation. The same goes for MCT and once again i have to say that anyone who puts MCT in carts deserves the worst hemorrhoids you can think of for the rest of their life

7 Likes

I agree with you (mostly), I should elaborate somewhat on what I mean. Realistically any terpene is going to be harmful at the concentrations used in this study, just for different reasons. Monoterpenes and heavier terpenoids cause issues in the lungs in very different ways. While the high MW terpenoids seem to wreak havoc in the lung surfactants, lower MW monos appear to break down pretty aggressively at high temps and form a lot of carcinogens and other known toxins. The amount of stuff myrcene alone degrades to is concerning in its own right.

So I do agree that lighter monoterpenes do not pose the exact same threat as high mw terpenoids, they just are a health hazard for different reasons. I’ve said it many times before but people seem to forget there’s a lot of ways you can damage your lungs.

7 Likes

I mean like to you whats the difference between cannabis derived and hemp derived.

My bad should’ve clarified a bit more.

People who vape MCT:image

4 Likes

Not caparyllic acid (c8), i know that for a FACT homes

When you know things for a FACT you don’t misspell them. More hemorrhoids to you sir

1 Like

Have a tlc plate

1 Like

:yawning_face:

1 Like

Yes, :100: the reason I hate cops, the government, religion and business. All want to control your behavior but none have your interests in mind.

There’s a good amount of cops who have peoples interest in their mind. Its mostly large city cops who don’t, due to lack of funding, training and the amount of disrespect they get.