Health and Human Services US calls for Cannabis to be Rescheduled to CSA III

Did you all see the breaking news?

HHS leader calls for cannabis to be rescheduled to CSA Schedule III in the US.

Bloomberg First to report!

Marketwatch

Marijuana Moment

8 Likes

So, Health and Human Services (HHS) worked with the Department Of Justice (DOJ) to draft a letter to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to reschedule cannabis with Republicans (CSA) before the end of the year?

1 Like

If it happens this is really bad news.

2 Likes

Ya good day for the canna stonks all around.

Anyone that is not part of a huge mso or pharma company should be terrified if cannabis gets rescheduled to schedule 3. I for one want to keep it away from the feds as long as we can. Look at what happened when the states took over our industry, chads came in, the real ones got pushed out. A few of us still hanging on with our pipe dream but sched 3 will kill the last of us that have survived.

11 Likes

Not sure this impacts REC people at all. Since those programs would be fully outside of medical usage.

There’s a push to not preempt state programs - meaning if states had a program for medical they could continue issuing licenses for them. Similar to how states currently handle board of pharmacy stuff and local pharmacy licensure.

Kind of awesome to see how much the conversation has changed. I started in SSDP back in 1996. Back then my congressperson wouldn’t even talk to me about cannabis. Now my congressman is a cosponsor on a legalization bill. :slight_smile:

In my life time!

4 Likes

I hope your right. My stance is the feds are going to have massive pressure from pharma companies. Then will come the smear campaigns on how rec cannabis is dangerous and bla bla bla. Im not optimistic anytime the govt gets involved with anything cannabis. For me, keep it where its at or just decriminalize it.

7 Likes

I think it’s a step towards Big Marijuana, portrayed as a “step in the right direction.” It’s not legalization or decriminalization, it’s just the scientific advisory branch of the government finally making it publicly known in a letter to the DEA that marijuana isn’t as harmful as we’ve been made to believe for the last century. They recommend lightening the restrictions on research which I think means pharma/tobacco/alcohol will continue to see if they can easily and profitably step into the industry, while possibly lobbying the government to set up new regulations in their favor (like MSOs are doing state by state with med/rec). Greed rules, and a lot of people are going to be throwing money into cannabis again very soon. Hopefully we can deschedule cannabis after further research proves it to not be a threat to our national health, and free market capitalism can do it’s thing to allow healthy competition among businesses and we as citizens can continue to use cannabis in our daily lives for another 5000+ years.

It’s not the best they could have done, but it is a big step that until now no federal agency really wanted to take.

1 Like

When there is a new law, we can read the original language. The rescheduling seems to leave a hazier forecast. Research, banking, and taxation benefits can most help the largest companies. Smaller companies getting relief, just less. Are there benefits or concerns for the patients around the rescheduling? Still can’t cross state lines? Still need to register with their state? Still functioning in a state-legal / federally-illegal system?

1 Like