Having difficulty with ph strips and digital ph meter

First time running into this issue and thought someone can help.

Have run tosic reaction many times but for some reason the ph papers and the ph meter are completely off. I’m trying to decide which one is right.

Here is the data after washing with 1/3 sodium bicarbonate to rxn. The sodium bicarbonate is 10/1 solution.

1st wash 3.5
2nd wash 9.2
3rd wash 8.4

Ph paper though still says everything is 3-4 range. I have buffered my theme scientic ph meter twice with

4.01, 7, and 10. I have then checked this against the ph paper and everything seems to match up. There was definitely sodium bicarbonate left in the bottom of the 100 liter vessel after lle but after going through the sep funnel it should be taken care of.

The photo is clearly showing the ph paper is on point but for the life of me I can’t seem to figure out why this is happening with the reaction and the paper.

Calling on the big dogs for help
@Kingofthekush420 @HeisenbergInd @Cheebachiefextracts @BrownGuy420 @iLLnyeTheShatterGuy

1 Like

Pretty sure I need a new electrode.

1 Like

What does it read when you calibrate it to 7 then clean it and put it back in the calibration solution, does it read 7?

Tbh I use 2 pH meters to make sure I’m not fucking up

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

What kotk said what’s it say upon calibration?

Was the probe stored in the calibration/buffer solution? Or has it dried out?

I prefer using blue lab to double check but you always have to wash off with clean water then with buffer solution then into storage for it otherwise they won’t last long.

3 Likes

The only one it was off was the 10 ph and it was only off by .002 which I corrected. I just did my 2nd last water wash and the same thing happened again. Ph paper is not changing and remaining orange.

After second to last pure water wash @ 1-1 the reader is now saying reading ph4.746 and the paper is orange which would make sense apart from the previous reading and it jumping from the previous wash of 8.4 down to 4.7 when the ph change should only be minimal. Maybe I could have decanted better and I’m picking up sodium bicarbonate powder at the bottom but again that shouldn’t matter due to using the sep funnel.

Here is the digital reading of 2nd to last wash pure water.

Here is the ph paper

What type of water are you washing with?

1 Like

First time using R/o normally used distilled water.

1 Like

Ro tested in the 5s and the oh meter said 5.78

That’s probably it.

1 Like

Depending on your ro filtration this could be the issue at hand

1 Like

I was lazy today and wanted to grab the 5 gallon containers rather than a bunch of distilled one. That will teach me.

1 Like

Typically my r/o water is at 6 all the time and we’ll add 50g of bicarb per gallon of H2O. But I will typically use 10g more per point up on the ph scale or 10g less on per point less on the ph scale. So in your case 5ph I’d add 40g of bicarb per gallon of H2O. I do this with saline wash too.

When it come to the wash I add the same amount of water as oil and spin for 10min then let emulsion settle for 15

4 Likes

Think of it this way…

Do we use reverse osmosis on our distillate?

Nope?

We distill it.

That’s all ya need.

Reverse can still have sub-micron particles of AC that will keep the PH of the water more acidic.

Just use distilled. Works just fine :wink:

2 Likes

Are you sure there’s no solvent in the water? The film on the electrode gets fucked pretty quick by some solvents. To know if you’re reading accurately, I recommend the single use packets of buffer solution. It doesn’t lie, one of the few things that can be relied on in pH measurement. If you just need a workable solution, trust your litmus paper, pH meters suck lol.

There was solvent in it. Ended getting everything fixed. Always trust the paper. Thanks for the help everyone.

3 Likes