Haskel recovery speed

Just a quick question what speeds are people getting out of a single haskel? How much power is needed in heating to keeping up with it?

.5 lb a min with a julabo bc4 or small thermo scientific heater 1kw heating I believe on a ets mep 6” x48 collection

1 Like

roast it with 10kw. (or more)

and switch to passive for bulk recovery

4 Likes

The chilling power needed to recover 100lbs of gas is just impractical for us, we are more comfortable with active recovery as well.

Interesting what compressor are you using?

Touch science has a 50/-120 chiller. Three phase @ -40 she has 10.5kw of power, and @ -80 she has 5.5kw or so. And costs $17.5k before trump fees and shipping. Get it UL listed for 7-8k.

How much does a haskel cost for maintenance and how many times a year?

Bet that chiller can handle up to 3lbs a min passive. I know someone that used it after their cmep without a condensing coil before the tank. And it was handling the recovery of the vapors coming out of a pump.

3 Likes

That’s actually some pretty impressive numbers from a chiller with that ticket. I know he’s working on getting the ability to do UL listing over there. There’s services around willing to certify Chinese made and designed lab equipment? The only issue I see is we don’t have three phase power yet.

1 Like

Baaallllsssss. That would be the only thing holding you back.

Ya, the people who bought it were running it straight from the pump and no coil. They had the set point to -80. She dropped to -75. Ooooooooo. And that was from a pump. Passive, that thing could easily handle 2+ lbs a min. Maybe even 3 @ -40 and proper hoses.

1 Like

Yeah if I was going to be passive it’d be 1/2 hoses all day long or larger, be pretty bad ass to use 3/4 houses would just need a solvent tank with 1/2 npt fittings…

Two halfers will hit 3ish a min. Dude that thought me a lot of what I know smashes nearly 3 a min on two half inch hoses. Granted he’s running crude and hot, but still. Standard runs should easily clear 1.5 and depending on how cocky you are, faster.

You know I’ve seen you on here spreading all this passive talk, and bizzybee… I always thought I’d never do it… but now you got me thinking, on demand water heater ran to collection vessel, double 1/2 hoses to two dry ice coils to recovery tank with chiller attached? All that need to be done is chill recovery tank, pull a vacuum on recovery tank shut off vacuum pump, heat collection vessel, open vapor valve(s) and boom 1.5-3lbs a min?

3 Likes

Ding. You’d have to be warm enough to drive that much force. But, it can definitely be done. I use a condensing coil for phase change. And my chiller just keeps the tank cold.

2 Likes

How warm would you be trying to get on your collection tank? I usually have my heater set to 102f and tank runs around 67-75f but thats for active. Would this be a good temp for passive or think it may need to be a bit warmer?

Is that 1.5lbs a minute? Just trying to get a gauge on my recovery times. Im running 2 1/2 hoses but live only and I thought my times would be a lot faster but this looks more correct…

Sometimes I shut my pump off and just lwt it rip through the check valve. I keep the 6x48 recovery spool, molsieve, and CRC at 45 celcius. I push through my crc to use the 5 micron filter and prewarm the butane a bit before it his the pot. I keep the splatter platter at 37degrees c. At my best I can do over a pound a minute through standard hoses and coils during the bulk of my recovery. I use a makeshift heat exchanger to drive my temps back down to load another colomn while my distillation is occurring. This has dramatically improved running cpacity for me. Hope this helps.

1 Like