Hash water waste

I like how this shifted from “should I reuse my hash water?” to " theres gold in that shit!"

18 Likes

Any waste steam is gold if you can monetize it

8 Likes

I’m telling you I really didn’t want to dump that skywalker og hash water down the toilet…

9 Likes

To redirect back towards initial topic. Separating terpenes from water doesn’t require anything fancy, nor is it related to the membranes needed to separate water and ethanol. Simple RO will suffice. Since it doesn’t require explosion-proofing, a basic RO filter from the supply store might even be sufficient.

10 Likes

I was thinking the same thing, everything that’s not water would be retained in the waste stream and that could be the starting point for LLE.

2 Likes

I’ll see youR redirect & up you a repeat post of a related thread:

7 Likes

The information you’re giving out in that thread is not totally correct. The 4:1 only applies for single pass. If the rejected water is being recycled back to the input, the situation is completely different.

3 Likes

Which is already explored over there.

That was my personal observation of a mega-ohm system running water down the drain 30 years ago.

The All knowing one was happy enough to provide confirmation bias links for me to share…

6 Likes

yeah I double this, I’m about to build a room out for solventless, and plan on having drainage to a grey water site, maybe I’ll put some plants on top and see what happens

2 Likes

I mean technically once you isolate enough terpenes there would be an explosion hazard correct?

4 Likes

My understanding is that’s a risk with isolated terpenes. Here we’d be removing and condensing a terpene blend, which I think is usually much more stable.

Plants LOVE the hash water.

7 Likes

depending on the terpenes in the blend then yes the hazard is much lower, however some blends are more volatile and can only be shipped ground due to flammability, so i assume these more hazardous blends could be a fire hazard.

2 Likes

Me too, I think folks are callin it “xanax” these days.

You won’t get 100% terpenes out (plus lots of the water soluble components we’re concentrating are not actually terpenes). They will still be diluted in some water. You’ll want to use like a pentane LLE or something to get the last.

2 Likes

Fuck pentane, odor threshold is too low.

thanks for explaining, i assumed you were saying the water would be removed completely.

No, you’ll need to remove the last remainder of it. Keep in mind you’re starting with very dilute solution, way more water than terps. Even when you remove 99% of the water there will still be a lot left.

2 Likes

And at that point adsorption can effectively deal with the water so its not really a problem. The fact that RO can reduce the volume is all thats really needed.

Vacuum distillation no heat will allow you to seperate the water (or solvent) from the terpenes without degrading them

This is how ppl get water clear bho terpenes

Distill the ht layer

2 Likes