Hash water waste

Just wondering what other hash makers opinions are on reusing the same water for multiple washes i don’t feel right running through 100 plus gallons of water just to wash a couple thousand grams plus for me its much easier too get two cans down to temp and keep them that way rather than starting fresh every pull

6 Likes

Anyone try LLE to get the water soluble terps out?

3 Likes

How do you propose we do that?

Chloroform would be the only thing that might work?

3 Likes

And why do you have chloroform…

9 Likes

28 Likes

I have a buddy that roofied himself to get high.

On topic… why can’t you do a basic pentane LLE followed by drying process

5 Likes

Im trying to follow @Beaker 's Methanol tek.
He uses hexane / water wash and says it removes most of the terps.
Im still saving in my hexane / heptane fund … As soon as i have some of either i will try.

1 Like

In my experience the major issue I’ve run into when attempting to reuse the water is the carrying over saponins, stuff released when the chlorophyll breaks apart ( for lack of better scientific terminology), that are the cause for all the bubbling that you see. If you reuse the water you ll see those bubbles increase to the point where you have a lot of foam in your catch bags making collecting a pain the ass. I went back to being all wasteful and such and used clean water throughout.

2 Likes

My water comes from a well in the yard, so pouring the waste water on the ground outside does filter and recycle it :man_shrugging:

15 Likes

It’s probably not saponins (plant derived detergents). My hypothesis is that it is plant waxes and sugars and external contamination like dust.

4 Likes

I would’ve been eliminated from the 3rd rd of the spelling bee for my misspelling of saponin lol.

5 Likes

Water soluble terpenes?

2 Likes

Dimethyl ether would be a better choice than chloroform. One problem is that dimethyl ether has a pretty large capacity to dissolve water.

Water can be removed by adsorption onto 3a mol sieve, magnesium sulfate, calcium chloride or another dessicant of your choice.

When all the water is bound up you can focus on extracting the water soluble aromatics. Separation of the DME from the final product won’t be a problem, it boils around -10F

5 Likes

Well,

I suppose I assumed most of the terpenes we’re after are non-polar, however as a person who has never made bubble hash, I’m not sure how good that water smells lol, but it sounds like it’s worth saving.

I then assumed whatever was dissolved in water was more polar (probably some flavonoids and other compounds over terps?)

Chloroform is probably the most polar solvent that’s insoluble in water, so it would likely have the largest range of compounds.

But a heavy salting + DME would likely have similar effects?

I think I’d rather play with chloroform than DME for the sake of explosion… But both do sound fun in their own way.

4 Likes

Anyone tried boiling it?

1 Like

To recover the water?
Or the Terpenes?!?

2 Likes

Evaporation of terpenes might actually be kinda easy. You’d just need a pretty large vacuum vessel I suppose. I doubt you’d get the best smelling compounds back though.

2 Likes

Worth a try the water usually smells amazing. Maybe a membrane would perform better.

@cyclopath the terpenes of course.

5 Likes

I was thinking a finely tuned FFE could get you most of the way then refine further with SPD or spinning band.

Sometime this year ill have some time to try this.

2 Likes