Hash to distillate

Bon Dias Comrads,

Just got a nice offer to convert hash(dry sift pressed, not baked) into distillate.

Here is what I have - 2l SPD form Summit, Edwards e28 pump, hochstrom filtration set, have some silica, 3 types of carbon scrub from summit, aromatizing clay.

Rotovape Buchi R210

I was thinking in dumping hash(sift) into etho and stir the f*ck out of it around 30-40C, then winterize, filter with 3 steps process, winterize again, carbon scrub(hot), winterize again - final scrub and to the roto, get Etho down to 5-6% and do SPD.

What are your thoughts on this one guys? I have around 2kg of starting mat to play around with and see the final % of disty.

I would appreciate any thoughts,

Regards,
Ivanovich

1 Like

This is where things will get hectic. You want to recover and decarb then spd

3 Likes

If you can press it to rosin, the returns from kief are horrible even when its good. It will also need to filtered very very fine to get all the plant matter so it wont burn inside the spd.

1 Like

aint that darken the material? or you mean do vac purge without heating it?

1 micron final pass will not make it ? I would love to press(have 20 tons now with 3*6 plates) but the goal is 10 kg per day.

In my experience 1 micron will not get it all. Every time I’ve tried to run kief to distillate with alcohol as the solvent I’ve fucked up a boiling flask.

Press it or put it in a cls and extract it

1 Like

Yes, this will oxidize and darken the terpenes. A clean distillate has no terps however.

3 Likes

was thinking to run CLS, but I was thinking it will clog it and no way butane can go through it, am I mistaken?

you mean it burns inside the flask and makes it not possible to remove the residue?

2 Likes

I wont run kief anymore without having it pressed first, ive filtered down to .5micron and theres still material. Also depends on how it was made, if it was beaten up to yield the most it will have tons of small particles in it, plus your yield is gonna be in the teens from kief to distillate, and youll use and loose way less solvent trying to winterize a small amount of oil vs soaking the kief and loosing alot to absorbing into the kief. It can be cleaned you will probably be cussing alot while doing it and the burning material inside will fight your vac the whole time and it stinks to top it off.

4 Likes

If the kief is mixed with biomass it generally won’t clog. Straight kief will clog quick.

Yes, boiling flask will have burnt shit that won’t wash, scrape or dissolve out

1 Like

@xerist (sp?) had a good small write on blasting kief in a CLS. I thought it laid out a pretty good procedure for blasting kief in a CLS

4 Likes

I won’t run kief to distillate for anyone anymore. Main reason isn’t even having to pitch a bf which sucks. Main reason is everybody thinks they have a jar of gold. There’s surely gonna be a 50% yield with this stuff, right?

2 Likes

No joke … I bought my 1st spd kit this week,
The first thing i ran through it was the shit you get from a trimming machine ( unsmokeable hash)
I put it through my still…
My little lab stinks of burning tyres and it took me 3 days to clean all the glass.
Your better of making an extrat of said hash and go from there, unless you want to make some fkd up laytex shit in the boiling flask.
If you do …
Ethanol and citric acid, gloves, extraction hood or outside…
Absolute fkn disaster. lol

edit: but it is possible …

2 Likes

got it Boss! makes 100% sense now, so press first, collect rosin, mix with etho, winterize, roto, vac purge the rest, Spd?

I’d love to read more about that. That was my second option. Have to find pure butane here in Spain, any references guys? Had hard time with nasty residues that impossible to get rig off during the process and ends up with bad taste.

@Izambard_K_Brunel is in the lovely country of Spain! Maybe he might be able to point you in the right direction, and check out some of these posts about blasting kief in a CLS: Search results for 'blasting kief' - Future4200

1 Like

I will help you to the best of my capacity and then we can learn together if you wish !

This is my setup. I don’t want to fck it up ;(

1 Like

Are you anywhere near bcn ?

Ya thats the easiest way if tour starting material is kief, you will see how lil oil will come out of it and if you dont press it first you will use alot of solvent for a very small return in oil prior to distillate and then the return gets even smaller.

2 Likes