Has anyone tried?

So many people are using so much alcohol. has anyone tried this device or something similar? It’s basically just a fermentation tank and membrane filtration to separate pure alcohol.

https://thekneeslider.com/efuel100-microfueler-home-ethanol-micro-refinery/

2 Likes

probably makes no attempt to remove the methanol.

1 Like

Methanol is that dank drank

1 Like

Can’t you limit biosynthesis of methanol by using inputs that are low in pectin?

1 Like

But that’s easily separated

I’ve done a bunch I f home distilling and I was pretty sure so long as you chose the right yeast and sugar source methanol production should be quite low.

With methanol being less than 10% by mass you’re still able to separate with distillation. The azeotrope seems to only form above 10% methanol concentration.

If I’m wrong please correct me. The methanol/ethanol azeotrope and separation of such during homebrewing is of interest to me. I can post the paper regarding said azeotrope when I get home if anyone is interested.

4 Likes

sure, I was just pointing out that a “still” designed for fuel production probably doesn’t BOTHER with getting that done for you. Given that MeOH also makes decent fuel…

especially a membrane based separation…although things change when you add evaporation to membrane based separation (pervaporation).

it IS possible they’re making methanol free ethanol.

3 Likes

14 yrs ago that video was produced… Still no sign of it being viable for home market. :frowning:

2 Likes

The thing that stuck out to me most in the video is the membrane dehydration of ethanol. I have been scouring the internet and have yet to find a commercially available membrane that could be used for the pervaporation of ethanol-water mixture. If anyone has any leads on such a membrane, feel free to share with the class! At this time, it seems that there are several different potentially viable options but nothing that is readily available off the shelf.

2 Likes