Has anyone tried running cold pentane in a centrifuge designed for ethanol?

I’m guessing that he means the pod has an area separate from the C1D1 area that can be used for controls. If the panel is mounted remotely the only classified electrical would have to be in the extraction areas. Depending on the design and material handling, you could have separate zones in the extraction area. C1d1 would be inside the centrifuge, piping, and anywhere that pentane-laden biomass or solution is outside of the closed system. C1d2 would be any place that those pentane vapors could possibly reach, but would not do so under normal operating conditions.

4 Likes

Thank you @highestzen.

Saved me from explaining it :rofl:

There is a separate area that is C1D2 that all the controls will be laid out in.

2 Likes

@highestzen …I understand.

That is not exactly what my query was about.
Do you have anti-detonation blow out panels in the room pictured? Which I assume is C1D1…and it should.
If you understand the process of detonation, you will understand why I ask about the blow out panels.
If you are running and set up for alcohol, and decide you will just “”switch to pentane”” by changing seals and pump…and do NOT have a facility with blow out anti-detonation panels….
The last place you want to be is in the adjoining room.

@HeisenbergInd
So the room you provided a photo of…is that C1D1 or is it C1D2?
That is all. ?? Does it have blow out panels?

I don’t need an “explanation”…been there done that with Factory Mutual Stamps. You lose a bearing in that “Chinese beauty” running pentane and you will know exactly what I mean.

3 Likes

That and secondary containment…

Are those requirements included in NFPA or NEC code? Or are they part of the IBC hazardous area code? Both? It’s been years since I’ve read them.

doesn’t even require loosing a bearing. if those rotors are clad like most I’ve interacted with, turning them up too high can be problematic. looking at the color of this stainless, it was well above the auto-ignition temp when it raised its hand.

4 Likes

It is a C1D1 with blow out anti-detonation panels.

All bearings, seals, motor have been upgraded (including the seals for the sight glasses). The housing and controls remain the same.

Our PE was there during the build and approved it. Wrote the tech specs for all the equipment and field review for pod with the equipment.

BFS has approved it all as well.

Safety is my #1 priority. Integrity 2nd. End product 3rd.

But I whole heartedly agree. No one should just think it’s a simple swap for solvents and expect a good outcome.

5 Likes

@Heisenberglnd…thanks for the reply…
I sort of figured you had it covered…but had to ask.
The set up with the membrane systems looks impressive…as well.
@HeisenbergInd “. With the skids that @MagisterChemist has, we are seeing a 99.3% total reclaim (that’s also with a post processing procedure for the biomass).”.
Nice work by all.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Stop spamming every thread if you want to sell crap start your own.

1 Like

You should REALLY not run pentane on a lanphan centrifuge yust don t
To many reasons to name them

2 Likes

So we pulled the trigger on our HC fuge. Been on the hunt for some time. Not many fully C1D1 rated fuges out there. Found this baby… 1450rpm, 90lb/cuft load rating, 18"x30" basket. Stainless with teflon seals, inert atmosphere N2 control system, 30hp, and already has an installed spraybar. It’s completely designed C1D1. We already run one Western States fuge. This will be the big brother. Check it out

13 Likes

Peeler?

How does it empty?

Vacuum?!?

2 Likes

Has bags that fit it, so I imagine the spent biomass could be pulled out with that. It has a standard bottom discharge for the effluent. The photo of the interior with the perforated flat bar is on a pneumatic actuator that either scrapes product off or guides slurry to the bowl. If it is a scraper then yea maybe we could slow rpm scrape and vacuum discharge the biomass…NO we will not be attaching a standard shop vac to it hahaha.

3 Likes

Vac works great. There are appropriate devices…and risks associated with using the wrong one.

Link to more appropriate tooling in that thread iirc

2 Likes

YES! exactly what we’ve been looking at!

1 Like

Thats hot :hot_face::hot_face::hot_face:

3 Likes

So wet.

Show me the rest of your facility

2 Likes

Yeah what @BrotanicalMatt said, your facility looks insane. Those bulkhead doors look like thy belong on a fucking submarine.

2 Likes

Ohhhh no no no that is the original install where this thing was. Came from Proctor and Gamble so I could only imagine what the facility this used to be in cost. We run a looooot leaner than that hahaha. Safe…but lean

2 Likes