has anyone seen this?

with 9kw ricirculating heat and 15-20kw of chilling, wouldnt this keep up with a falling film evap, or at least do half the job? and finish out and properly decarb?

2x’s 20L rotovaps are not cutting it at 4gph.

1 Like

it will work, but has vastly less surface area that a shell/tube for evaporation.

What if I was able to integrate one of those fancy gear pumps and recirculate or “spray” inside the vessel?

1 Like

Pull from the bottom, spray to the top

Has anyone ever built a FFE column using a triclamp internal coil instead of the vertical tubes inside the column? Just brainstorming over here

1 Like

Seen em.

Works great for rising condensation applications

And for cold trap before vacuum pump.

Any other questions?

1 Like

I want to use something like I described to recondense ethanol vapor under vacuum. If the internal coil is cold enough and I pull the vapor up from the bottom, in theory it should work great, correct? The colder it can get, the faster the flow rate. That being I have a great source of heat to boil said ethanol.

1 Like

I essentially want to build a stainless steel reactor for distilling ethanol, ethanol recovery, and if it gets hot/cold enough and deep enough vacuum I want to use the same setup to properly decarb my crude as well. So by adding this SS vertical coil cold column after the reactor, I’d be able to do the ethanol recovery pulling vac from the top, inlet vapor on the side towards the bottom, and either a deltaSEP keg, or another SS triclamp storage tank under vac, preferably jacketed. a simple lock off valve before the storage tank so you can keep the system under vac and swap to another 0 atmosphere tank.

1 Like

What provides the heat? Looks dangerous. This thing needs upgraded heating and stirring. Might as well start from scratch.

Piece it together with local parts. Skip the downtime. Get it way larger for a slightly higher price. ASME Certified. No down time. I told you where to go . . .

2 Likes

My old drawings you may be referring to :wink:

Evaporators like this already exist, we ain’t inventin’ shit here. I just recommend piecing it all locally, considering the local availability of proper vessels and ease of sourcing an explosion-proof/pneumatic stirrer.

1 Like

If you can build one this way with a jacketed reactor and the coil stack on top, I believe you would find the thermodynamics to work MUCH more in your favor.

The vapor Exits boiler thru the jacketed tank thru a carbonation stone, and the ethanol itself magnifies condensation power, and you pull vac from top.

When you build one, try this setup.

@AnonymousD

2 Likes

I used to recover butane similarly, and it definitely sped up recovery rates.

3 Likes

i dont know why my shitty internet wont let me post my pictures but yes like that drawing, slightly prettier :laughing:

thank you sir

you did lmao, idk if bossman would go for some used equipment unless its real shiny

also found this for cheap af, but its fucking huge.

says for heptane but im almost certain it could be used for a wide variety of solvents

to generate steam: tankless hot water heater, condensate pump with 1-3 gal res, recirculate condensed water generated by steam from jacketed column or vessel back to hot water heater.

Great, but not listed or approved in the US would be my guess, So budget another chunk of cash to get a 3rd party peer review to make your municipality happy if that’s something that you have to worry about.

it’s super fucking shiny… It’s all 3A sanitary
Save $1000 on day one - lose $10,000 on day ten. Well, hey… At least you saved something… This mentality is all too common. Just let me know when to come back for a round-table discussion on saving money the right way. I’ll convince 'em :joy:

text me the pic tonight