Has anyone impregnated media with acid?

I’ve heard whisperings of people dialing in some d9 conversion by activating/impregnating silica or other media with acids. In the same vein as some acid activated charcoal and the like.

Anyone have anything in the realm of an SOP? Or tried this out?

Stir? Rinse? Dry? Keep out of reach of pets and children?

2 Likes

Isn’t this what people are doing with the ion exchange resins?

3 Likes

Most media has a base or acid spike, exposing to atmosphere drives it closer to neutral. Neutral ones can even swing as well. It’s actually easier to adjust the carbon itself and use it instead of altering silica. Silica is generally inert and non reactive.

5 Likes

I was chatting up a few Chinese silica suppliers a while back.

They offered pH adjusted silica and alumina anywhere from 2-12.

Was curious how they managed.

1 Like

It’s probably just washed in some toxic acid. Amorphous silica has no benefit other than base filtrate or blend in. It doesn’t actually have a material pH adjustability unlike clays or carbons. Silica is best served as a “non reactive” material.

3 Likes

People have acid treated silica for reaction chemistry before.

Here’s an example w sulfuric acid: Sulfuric acid on silica-gel: an inexpensive catalyst for aromatic nitration - ScienceDirect

2 Likes

You are just talking about coating the silica with a acid itself, Wich washes off when in use and relates to extensive acidic compounds in solution instead of it staying with the media.

Yes, I’m familiar with that technique. Its a function of how strong the acid is, and remember that different types of silica exist as well.

If a weak acid, the benefit will not be seen. If its a strong acid, then you receive a benefit.

1 Like

I’ve done some isomerization with sulfuric.

Maybe I’ll give it a whirl

1 Like