Has anyone here had experience with the precision ASE100 FFE?

Haha, never. Just call those MFer’s on their bullshit.

You aren’t getting 200 proof straight off of a FFE.

The ethanol-water azeotrope is a tough nut to crack.

Azeotrope - Wikipedia.

Best case off a FFE is 195ish proof

4 Likes

No its not

You need a reflux column to ever distill to azeotropic max proof.

Vacuum stills push the BPs closer together, and the whole theory of thin film works you away from azeotropic max proof

1 Like

Wouldn’t do it… have been in a few labs with one of these… same problem in both, the temp needed to make it an efficient model wasn’t attainable because precision won’t let you turn the temp that high… you can replace the vac pump they put on it to get closer but the temp parameters they allow doesn’t get close to removing most of the solvent. They won’t let you adjust the temp without voiding the warranty and even after that they won’t allow override to get to proper temps… their customer service was already terrible, and as others have said can’t envision it getting better with the sale/merger that just happened… rumor is they were starting to sell Trusteel falling films instead of continuing to sell the ase100.

1 Like

Hydrometer says otherwise.

I think you mean farther apart…

2 Likes

are you certain you’re using it correctly?

if you don’t compensate for temperature they will absolutely lie to you (density varies with temp as well as abv…).

5 Likes

Sounds like my ex girlfriend

4 Likes

Lying to you or saying you aint using it properly?
:joy::joy:

2 Likes

Telling him what he wants to hear…

2 Likes

@Rowan is actually right (can’t believe I’m saying this)

Water

Toluene

Unfortunately I can’t use ethanol as an example as its BP is too low

Pressure distillation would push the BP further apart

Vacuum brings them closer together

But yea water boils at 100c at atmosphere and toluene 110.6 (a difference of 10.6)

At 100 torr vacuum water has a BP of 39c and toluene 48.7 (a difference of 9.7)

If I went further in vacuum they would get closer together

At 50 torr the difference is 9.3c

At 20 torr it’s 8.9c

3 Likes

As a precision customer, I can state that customer service really went to shit after the merger. Been trying to contact support for a month with no response. I’ve called emailed and texted. All with no avail. BZB is getting my money from here on out.

2 Likes

If you’re going to spend money on BZB you should really consider Illuminated Extractors. With them at least you don’t have to buy $120,000 chiller

1 Like

You’re the second person to recommend illuminated to me. I will most definitely do that. Thank you

3 Likes

It’s amazingly engineered, all self contained. The numbers are amazing to me, and you cool everything with the same gas you’re using. Pretty ingenious if you ask me. Plus it appears their support is top notch (not that BZB’s isn’t).

2 Likes

I know BZB likes Huber more than they should but we run Chillking’s on our hex rack FFE and have been very happy with them.

2 Likes

To me the idea of using your extraction gas as your shilling solution is where it’s at. No external equipment required. One less thing to have to worry about, even though I know it opens up a new set of theoretical problems

2 Likes

It’s a great idea

You need to over size your chiller on the tank though to make up for the cooling power you use on the columns

They use the hot evaporated propane to heat the columns up too, I use to do this instead of using nitrogen this is called a hot vapor loop

(Pretty sure they push there vapor threw the jacket of the column, where I would push it through the biomass)

There system won’t work with membranes though it’s not the right design which is definitely something to think about with what’s going on with crc

1 Like

Damn, I can’t believe I fucked that up!

Can’t argue w a nomagraph.

3 Likes

So actually, hate to say it, but the nomagraph doesn’t tell the whole story.

Relative volatility decreases (i.e. boiling point difference between two components decreases) as pressure increases.

The reason the nomagraph tool doesn’t work is because it calculates the BP for a pure component and not relative BPs in mixtures.

2 Likes