Has anyone found good filter papers that fit the beaker and wrench filter?

Their amazingly bizarre assumption that their 5 micron plate would be sufficient continues to confuse me but naturally we need to go down to 1 micron or .5 microns. Right now we cut papers to fit it as we need but they obviously don’t fit perfectly which I really need to be for that small of a micron.

Figured I’d just put it out there

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be something @BeakerandWrench should carry?

What’s the diameter (mm)?

They didn’t when we had this problem a year ago and a recent look through their website they ONLY carry their plates that are different microns smallest is 5

I still buy mine from Fisher. They come in all kinds of sizes from 10mm to 1m. Sometimes I buy the big one…just to cut a lot from. But most of the time I buy the cones, which can be tamped and then razor cut to fit perfect.

If you cannot find the exact one you need from Fisher - meeting the right pores and diameter. Sartorius will actually make you some customer. I don’t recall how many I had to buy, probably like 10 boxes of 100 or so. But that was back when I was doing sterile media filtration for biotech. Might be cheaper now.

USALabs has 200mm 1-3 micron filter paper (out of stock for Black Friday…) I switched to a different filter from B&W, but I feel like it was a 200mm to fit in the plate. Sigma and Fisher both have Whatman 114 paper - that’s like 2 micron paper that is also 200mm. You might still have to cut it. I’m assuming you have the standard B&W 8in plate.

If you find something cooler, I sure would love to know. I’m scaling up just now and might just get that filter out of storage to increase capacity.

Let us know how it goes!

I’ve been doing some design work lately and got to tour a commerical printing shop. They make all sorts of custom dies and have presses. Couldn’t you source uncut paper for them and have a local printer die cut you a couple hundred? Pay for the die and the time and feed them raw material.

1 Like