Harvesting tek for Hash/Rosin

Has anyone had definitive results with different conditions for fresh frozen harvest destined for bubble hash/rosin?

In the past, I’ve always followed processes like letting the soil/medium dry down before harvest day, leaving lights off for 2 days prior to harvest, etc. I understand the benefits of harvesting first thing in the morning to avoid too many terpenes/etc. burning off in the heat.

Up for any hypothetical conversation on this, would be nice to hear from someone that’s had time to do a side by side with varying results.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of factors that influence suitability for soventless and id love to see what the knowledge the community shares on this topic.

All I know is what I’m looking for in the material’s attributes…not too much about how to achieve the optimal expression and preservation of those attributes.

My suggested SOP for bucking is to de-foliate as much as possible while still living, buck branches and snip kolas off at the branch and let them fall directly into a vac seal bag or turkey bag, only fill each bag with a pound or 2, and DO NOT Vac seal tightly but leave a cushion of air to prevent compression when stacking.

Flash freezers or dry ice are great for higher volume to ensure max preservation of volatiles and thorough rapid freezing of larger masses.

4 Likes

In the past I’ve bucked into a turkey bag sitting above dry ice, but have noticed significantly more trichs getting knocked off the nugs/ stuck to the side of the bag while carrying them over to the freezer. Seems like they freeze up just as well just quickly bucking 500-1000 grams into a turkey bag and getting it into chest freezer quickly.

Would love to hear more people on the dry ice or not debate as well. I understand it’s often necessary while working on outdoor fields, where you’re not likely to have close access to a freezer, or walking back and forth every time eats up too many man hours.

2 Likes

Slightly off topic but re: lights off for 2 days I found this guy’s take interesting 48 Hours Of LIGHT Before Harvest! (NOT DARK!) - YouTube

I cut in the morning as well

3 Likes

I just took 5 gallon buckets, i knocked a bunch of holes in it with a paddle bit… then put it in the deepfreezer. Then i walked around and filled a 2 gallon bucket by hand and gently added to the 5 gallon bucket in the feezer until it was full. Once the bucket wax full and frozen i transfered to a space bag.

3 Likes

ive been looking for good info on this topic forever. Solventless Bake n Vape has a good video on youtube about his “quick dry” process that goes into some of this stuff. following

1 Like

Quick dry as in drying the weed? Should hopefully be freezing it, not drying at all

3 Likes

Many will disagree and scoff at this but cured material can be make very loud and tasty rosin.

There’s just a lot more care and specifics to the processing methods that come into play.

5 Likes

Oh I make cured material all the time, I just can’t see myself growing herb destined for hash/rosin and not freezing it if I have the option. Perfectly understandable to harvest for flower, then wash your b buds. Great byproduct, just hard to imagine doing it on purpose if the choice is there.

3 Likes

check out the video. its worth at least hearing out his methods and reasoning. ill add the disclaimer that should go in front of literally anything when discussing solventless- everything is likely extremely variable by cultivar/environment

Ugh, gotta sign in to watch. Haha running an errand then watchin in an hour :fist:t3:

Best fresh frozen is flash frozen.

Always use DI!

4 Likes

I’ll post shots of the cured material I’m about to run, should be some killer super boof x grape guava

As for harvesting for fresh frozen, I typically will allow for up to a 2-3 day dry back time after my last drench that’s topped off with ice to draw out more chlorophyll. Ideally will harvest at midnight when temps are the coolest. Defoliate to literally almost no fan leaves prior to this two day dry back and the plant will focus solely on resin production and swelling of flower sites. Section out branches & chop tops, straight into turkey bag or vac seal bag & into either dry ice or dipped inside of the bag into ln2 (etoh dry ice works) for 15-20 seconds with bag open to release atmosphere as you dip. Then directly to freezer storage for till use. Or if you have means for it, get a refrigerator truck, and a ln2 sprayer, chop in sections and hang those bitches up on metal framing or wood and let her rip tater chip. Then buck in the truck directly into your storage or wash.

I know plenty will disagree but DI actually preserves more (science bitch!)

4 Likes

Alright, took me all day to find a free 26 minutes to watch that video. Don’t wanna seem harsh, but everything that guy says seems ass backwards to me.

The idea of letting your trichomes oxidize for an extra 5-7 days drying seems nuts to me if going for a certain color.

Only time I’ve ever dealt with the fresh plant/clorophyll smell has been on prematurely harvested weed, and that seems to be his main argument for drying it.

He makes a whole segment explaining why dry weed breaks up better than fresh frozen weed, overlooking the idea that you don’t want pieces of broken up plant material in your hash/rosin. Actually compares it to dry weed in a grinder, saying it breaks up better than wet weed in a grinder. Please don’t grind weed for hash.

Then he also goes on to brag about his 20-26% yields, only to then tell you that’s his 45-160 micron overall hash yield. Nothing special there.

Who knows, maybe I’m missing something. Doesn’t seem viable to me though.

3 Likes

Alright, so I could Deff go either way on this debate. My best rosin yield yet(5.4% 45-120 finished rosin off gmo outdoors) has been from weed bucked onto dry ice.

I listened to a bunch of episodes of “the hashish inn” podcast, and had some people talkin down on dry ice for its likelihood to have someone shake the bag around (hit a bump driving) and knock a bunch of trichs off those brittle cold nugs.

Looked at some of my turkey bags after emptying them out to wash, and did notice more trichs while using dry ice to harvest. Is there a benefit to flash freezing that outweighs this potential loss?

Cured bubble & sift, loud as can be and has perfect sandy grease to it. Gonna let it all dry and microplane next. Haven’t decided if it’s getting squished or straight to cannolis

4 Likes

#1 you get the best taste and smell

Even an hour off the plant, and not fully frozen processes are starting that you don’t want. Even slight wilting can make freezing slow a nightmare and effect the overall outcome of your wash.

When you flash freeze the biomass you prevent the moisture from sharding. Keeping your material more Ridgid in the water, requiring less ice is also nice, because slightly dethawed in the water the material is still rigid and while apposed to a wet noodle.

There are other benefits to flash freezing just in general that you can find on the interwebs too. We are really just growing and processing some produce.

2 Likes

7 Likes