Hard to Find Papers - PDF Requests

I’m not affiliated, I just live in the area. I’ll give them a call anyways.

2 Likes

@mitokid what website were you on that you were able to check the availability of that document at NRLF?

1 Like

https://search.library.berkeley.edu/discovery/jsearch?vid=01UCS_BER:UCB&tab=jsearch_slot&offset=0&query=any,contains,Arzneimittel%20&journals=any,Arzneimittel%20

1 Like

They should have it:

1 Like

Yes I was just looking at that. Appreciate the link.

The PDF is available over at MAPS’ website:

https://bibliography.maps.org/resources/download/12369

2 Likes

Awesome, do you have any resources you use for finding articles or techniques you use to track them down?

I usually just use Google scholar to look for a doi or isbn but obviously Google doesn’t index everything on the internet.

If scihub or libgen doesn’t have what I’m looking for, I’m usually SOL if it’s not on there.

2 Likes

emailing the authors works if it’s recent enough, they tend to be happy to share their work

8 Likes

Should I try to contact the author thru LinkedIn or how could I get in contact?

This will be helpful for brand new articles that scihub hasn’t indexed yet.

I think I’ve only ever had the problem with older papers. Typically ones that dont have a DOI and only have a PMID. Might have a bit of trouble contacting the authors in those cases. I assume a lot of them have passed on.

1 Like

In this particular case I just googled the first sentence of the paper’s title.

3 Likes

Doh… “the simplest explanation is usually the best one.”

I wonder if I could get Jochen Gartz to make an account on here. Nevermind RIP.

1 Like

I usually go for university/organization emails first, but that depends on them still working and being out in the public

older papers are definitely a different challenge

3 Likes

I guess I live near a couple universities I could always check the libraries.

would be emphasized if we only could get William of Ockham to sign up.

2 Likes

Before Sci-Hub was brought to my attention I regularly visited NRLF with lists of dozens of references. Sitting at a computer within UC’s domain you basically never encounter a paywall as far as access to scientific journals is concerned.

1 Like

So do most authors basically not give a shit if people distribute their work openly on the internet?

Interesting to see that when searching for articles on google scholar future4200 threads come up pretty often if you look under the “versions” category of an article.

A lot of full articles that are normally behind pay walls has been openly posted here and nobody’s been fucked for copyright so far.

1 Like

Does anyone know of an app or service for translating pdfs?

I’ve got a couple articles that are mostly in German and I’d rather not translate them page by page in google translate.

They don’t care. It’s the publishers of the journals themselves that are upset with Sci-Hub.

1 Like

No pain, no gain.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so bummed to hear that if a sample from the copy and paste didn’t look like this

“( 08 /” ;
e eR

:
a
a
a a
e
a8

a1" D

8 3-)A (9F &("

:smiling_face_with_tear: