Hard distillate vs soft distillate

here is the highest cannabinoid % out of the 3 jars tested, they were all soft

2 Likes

From the photo and consistency, I’m willing to bet there is still some wax content in there.

1 Like

yea I recently bought some even softer stuff. and it tested low.
I will have to say I will be avoiding soft distillate in the future. As it seems to be lower quality.

1 Like

It would probably be wise to avoid putting veg oils in a cart.

8 Likes

bought some really golden, super soft like almost honey soft and had it tested. Not trying to beat a dead horse just provide data and experience to others they can benefit from

5 Likes

That’s one area that I am disappointed in testing labs for…they COULD be testing lipid content but won’t spend the money to offer the service (different columns and a dedicated HPLC).

It would be great to test for total lipid content in extracts as well as being able to test winterization lipids for their actual fatty acid breakdown.

8 Likes

I recently bumped into honey like stuff too. My frist thoughts were it was cut with pg as everyones been saying. Is this soft 1st pass acceptable now or have we been bamboozled by a magic pg that doesnt lower thc levels?

i don’t think anyone is really suggesting it is cut on purpose but rather a contamination from a terpene or wax content or hemp seed oil was suggested.

Either way if its testing 95% and being soft i don’t think there is much issue. I was initially under the impression that rock hard was what I was looking for. Which I dont think is the case now

1 Like

what is a good method to get rid of it…I’m using a WFE…I have some other lab equipment like rotovaps and an AI reactor as well as a refinement filter…

3 Likes

If your wfe is working properly you should have rock hard Distilate with very little contamination . If your still having trouble try running the crude through the system to strip the Terps first and then run again for cannabinoids

If it’s not rock hard I wouldn’t even put it into my carts. Also if you want to have the best quality don’t add anything to it besides organic terpenes @ 5%. Nothing more nothing less. If you are doing anything else with your carts they are boof

6 Likes

I do the same and theres always at keast a lil, i filter down to .5micron for final filtering. Not noticable in the disty until tou look into the filter and see a thin layer of wax

1 Like

Hard vs soft is not a good indicator. It will all flow at warmer temps. Since its summer youre prob seeing higher temp oil. Put it in the fridge and get it down to temp. If its not stable then you have cut oil. Swirls and color streaks are also not good indicators. If you want those gone just put the jars in an ultrasonic bath. Labs or dabs are the only way to verify quality.

Bet you his taking cbd and isomerizing it and giving you thick distillate and his practice is slowed. Thicker then a snicker you got thc, anything loose. Cbd.

1 Like

Do tour decarb in rhe roto and rake it to 145c it will make your terp strip pass in wfe alot easier, at least it did for me

I had some “soft” CBD distillate I made after re-running my heads and tails fractions… was pretty runny, but tested at 80%+ total cannabinoids.

You sure called that didn’t you?

2 Likes

Not certain if I am on the correct thread here, but I am seeking information on viscosity measurement. Terms like “thin” and “thick” don’t cut it.
I am seeking values in actual units of measure (e.g. cPa.s) for distillate and/or crude products.
Does anyone have direct experience testing viscosity using USP<912> that they would be willing to share?
Does anyone have hands-on experience with the Rheosense VROC based viscometer. RheoSense - Small Sample Viscosity
Even a range of viscosity values would be helpful.
The closest I have found is a reference to molasses at 500 Poise. There seems to be a virtual blackout on this information as it relates to our industry.

1 Like

I did some viscosity studies last year. The viscosity is incredibly dependent on temperature, and i could not get a viscosity on room temperature distillate even with the smallest size viscometer probe. As a result the data was poor quality. My recommendation is that this study will only be effective with a temperature-control viscometer unit.

3 Likes

Clearly viscosity is temperature specific and hence why the test method requires a specific test temperature, sometime more than 1 test so that a curve can be established.
In any case, any data points? at whatever temperature? with any specific piece of equipment?

1 Like