H2O2 shown as probable cause of rapid crashing "Medusa Stone"

Temp gun the jar as it offgasses plz

4 Likes

As far as the “spreading issue,” new tech and processes are coming into our industry constantly. There have been a whole bunch of times were something new at one end of the operation ends up showing up in a negative way at the other end months or years later.

2 Likes

I accidentally quoted my old post wrong, that “update” was old as well. Fixed now, sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

They only had a cheap IR thermometer and I was aiming it as glass so it wasn’t getting a good read. Qualitatively, by feeling the glass the ones that were having the rapid purging were noticably colder, which you would expect.

3 Likes

Nick, first let me thank you for your excellent and in-depth write up. I’ve been talking with Chris at Cannagas on this one for weeks now as we have been experiencing the same issues lately, and can trace the start of the problem to sourcing biomass from a cultivator using Zerotol, however none of our sources use ionizers (I’ve literally gone in person to view their cultivations to verify this in person). I was able to cleanse my system (cursing the entire time, as one does) however I am left in a tough situation as well…fresh frozen isn’t exactly easy to source here in OH, and we are trying to keep working with them regardless. Looking into changing SOPs to revise the issue, Pentane recrashing seems to save the diamonds, and fast crashing sugar is fine for LR Vapes, but I’m also looking at implementing AA sieves to avoid contaminating my gas. Have you had any success in remediating the issues w/ the use of Activated Alumina?

I would mention that it might not just be the hydrogen peroxide. I can pretty confidently (to a 99% degree of certainty) trace the issue to biomass from a source using zerotol compared to my other sources that don’t…and Zerotol while zerotol does have 27% hydrogen peroxide, it also uses Peroxyacetic Acid, which may cause some further interactions or increased stability in the peroxide.

4 Likes

I recently found an article talking about using activated alumina to clean up peroxide contamination. I’m actually waiting on some results on this path right now.

6 Likes

Hey brother, I’ve gone through your whole post on your chalk diamonds, as we’ve just started encountering this issue ourselves (rapid boil off of solvent in jars, sugaring up, or diamonds chalking up). I agree that it seems a stretch to blame it solely on h202…god knows I’ve run some peroxide sprayed product before and this is such a recent and weird thing. However, I can trace the start of the problem to a particular batch of biomass from a cultivator that uses the following as a weekly foliar spray:
(Puritol plus some other goodies)
Azadirachtin…1.2%
Potassium Bicarbonate… 85.0%
Organic Soybean Oil… 38.0%
Organic Peppermint Oil…5%
Citric Acid…25%
Hydrophobic Extract of Neem Oil …70.0%
Hydrogen Peroxide… 27.1%
Peroxyacetic Acid… 2.0%

They do not run an ionizer.
I don’t know if it’s just this weird combination, or some other effect, but the same gas from the same batch didn’t have the issue for me, then ran some material from this cultivator, and started having the issue. I’m confident it’s not the gas at least. Problem persisted even when running subsequent biomass. I’ve cleaned my system, changed my Mol Sieves, so we’ll see how it is going forward.

Hate to be “that guy” but would you mind sharing what SOP tweaks you’ve made that has helped?

2 Likes

Sounds a lot like, well uhhh you know… isobutane :laughing: lol

1 Like

Except even iso doesn’t behave like that…

3 Likes

Dm’d u

Tell everyone…

2 Likes

Here’s a snippet from the dms lol :laughing:

Wait does that give u guys access to the whole dm? Lol

No, it shows a lock when you try to expand it.

1 Like

What if it’s a new contaminant in the gas that’s causing it react to the h2o2? Seems odd to just spike in cases all the sudden

1 Like

I have been seeing a lot more application of hydrogen peroxide recently. It seems like going back a few years it was some people doing the occasional spray. Now it seems like more and more people are spraying, and much more frequently at that. And now we are looking at new technologies that are applying continuously. While H2O2 has been used for a long time it’s the increased prevalence of it’s use and frequency of application that could to be the trend to look at here.

1 Like

Some facilities are using a sterilizing unit called AirROS by Sage.

Wonder if this would effect it at all?

https://airrosshield.com/how-it-works/![image|416x500](upload://8oQYJRTA3Bfi15xn88Lci11GkWO.jpeg)

4 Likes

Anybody know what comes off right before and after butane/iso/propane in the manufacturing plant?

Cold is your enemy here. Soaking for any length with a cold jacket seems to make the issue worse. Fast pushes with cold solvent. Running 2 cold on the collection seems to make it worse. Getting the extract from your machine to your jar or vessel as quick as possible so there’s no boiling cause that cools the solution making the issue worse. And dont cold crash or room temp. We spent almost 6 months trying to figure this out as there was alot less resources available and most people blamed our process for many months. Was not until @Dukejohnson make the benzene thread and chimed in that he was having similar issues that people started to come forward and started trying to figure out what to do or how to fix it. Supposedly @Diamondalchemy @Dred_pirate and @TheWillBilly have all figured out how to stop as well. With these hints and the rest of the thread there you should be able to figure it out. That being said you more then welcome to reach out to me and walk me through what you have done so far and I can let you know if your on the right track.

16 Likes

Thank you, truly.

1 Like

He’s fucking going on about isobutane again? Some people’s children

5 Likes