Grow Tent Recommendations

Any recommendations for a good grow tent, or brands to stay away from? I’ve always been a custom diy guy, but it’s time to try out a little tent. Looking for a 3x3, about six or seven feet tall. My main concern is light tightness and durability. Not really concerned about cost, but not sure if a Gorilla is worth close to $300. I have three HLG 135’s to light it, and a six inch AC Infinity fan and carbon filter. Most likely going to run coco in smart pots, hand watered, drain to waste for now. It would be cool if anyone has any good ideas on filtering the incoming air, possibly to HEPA levels without collapsing the tent.

1 Like

To each their own, but I was never a fan of grow tents. You get more bang for your buck by using foil faced styrofoam insulation panels. Foil furnace duct tape holds them together well.

2 Likes

Can t recomend brands I am I EU
But I like mammoth
Most beneficial dubble blinded zippers
And height get it as high as possible 8 ft
Is what I like most

1 Like

I have a vivosun. You can see little dots of light through the tent in a couple spots. Nothing that concerns me. The tent material itself is very strong. The poles could be a little stronger.

2 Likes

Yeah, but for 60 bucks, I can have a 2x4x5 tent at my door in a couple of days.

I did the diy, and of the build isn’t actually something you enjoy, personally I found the amount of time save was worth way more than 60 bucks.

@BigM, I’d recommend a tent that size, I have 3 hlg 288’ s that I run with about 210w of light through. Once your dialed in, you can pull almost a pound per harvest.

I found any extra height is wasted in tents with leds, you don’t have the penetration you do with cmh or hps, so I found the extra height a waste.

I have a total of three tents, one 2x4x5, and two 2x2x3, and really, I get away with flowering in the little guys. I’ve done it before, and I’m going to be doing it again soon.

And as far as quality, the brand cool grows seems to have a slightly better quality than other tents I’ve had.

1 Like

Here’s my bigger tent not too long ago right before harvest, I pulled 13oz that one.

More pics just to show I’ve grown in a tent.

5 Likes

Gorilla tents are the best quality

I ditched all my tents and built 2x4 and foam panel rooms instead

5 Likes

What do you use for support for the lights in those? While I recommend a tent for time and simplicity, building stuff is always fun and to me.

2 Likes

2x4 wood

4 Likes

Secret jardine makes great tents.

5 Likes

Any good deals on tents right now?

I have a 4x8 Gorilla grow tent… so awesome…

7 Likes

I consistently pulled ~3 pounds in a gorilla 5’x10’ which I think is 7.5’ tall. I bought some short saw horses, placed a 4’x8’ tray on top of those, and had the attachment so I could drain the tray when watering. The sawhorse stands were nice because I could set the inline intake fan below the table as well as nutrients, tools, rolling chair, etc. I used 2 600W bulbs and shorter growing cultivars. The tent was definitely strong enough to hang the lights, ballasts and fans and has like 6 cinching ports for airflow in and out. It even has a divider that zips down the middle basically giving you two 5’x5’ spaces if your amperage is a limiting factor. I’m not 100% if they still make the model with the divider.

My only major problem was the negative pressure that pulled the walls of the tent in, slightly reducing the grow space.

For your air filtering concern, I would have the filter outside the tent then ducting into tent then the inline fan then perforated ducting; the ducting is laid lengthwise down the middle of the tray just below the canopy. If smell isn’t a problem then you can just open one of the cinch cords up high. This will produce an upward flow of air through the canopy and out the tent. If smell is a concern then on that higher cinching vent add a shot run of ducting and place a carbon scrubber on the ground outside the tent.

Clear as mud?

1 Like

??? Please

I run a 2x4x7 Gorilla Grow tent for VEG and FLWR a 3x3x6 off brand from the grow store with the same poll strength as the GG tent. I have an HLG 260 in the 3x3 and a PAR 700 in my veg tent. The price for the GG is a little steep, but I’ve gone through a few cheaper tents with the GG still rocking out W/O any issues.Buy once, cry once.

I know some people like building a room, and that’s fine if you have the space,time and budget for it. For others like myself, the tent has proved to be my best option until I can move back into a stand alone room. I currently am in a 690 Sq Ft studio, so space is needless to say tight. Climate control has been my main issue, but am working on a fix for when it get warmer here in Portland,OR.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the great ideas!

I want a taller tent for more flexibility in the future - taller pots, maybe a little ebb n flow, raise things up on a platform inside so I don’t have to bend over, or eventually trying out a cmh. Kinda leaning towards this
https://growershouse.com/plant-house-indoor-grow-tent-3-x-3-x-73
for about $110, about perfect size, and is supposed to support 110 pounds. They say it’s comparable to Secret Jardin, but with metal corners instead of plastic. It’s about $150 cheaper than a Gorilla in a comparable size. The extremist in me still thinks I need the Gorilla; being able to go from 6’11" to 7’11" would surely be overkill for my current plans, but would leave my options open. I do like the buy once, cry once mentality, but funds are a little scarce to go all out right now. Been piecing things together slowly for a while now, almost there! I’ll have to get some pics up once it’s all together. :slight_smile:

Tents have their place. A temporary grow space.

I use a couple flowering tents in by bedroom in the winter for heat. They come down when it warms up in the late spring.

Zazzy is the brand I am currently using. Cheap on Amazon with free shipping. It has the openings where I like them. Not the best quality, but it is good enough.

I’ve been doing fine in em for years now, they can be permanent as well. If you’re not needing a huge amount of pot, they can be more than a temporary environment.

1 Like

it takes up a few inches of roof space. Training more than makes up for that. I got in this thread to figure out the best/price conscious. I have secret jardin that are on the way out due to wear. I got a gorilla that is a bit overbuilt and i cant use the extra height extension but it can hole up the 70 lb lecs. I got a green hut that i like alot on quality it has a secret jardin style to the zippers and zips up around the sides and under. And I have a vivosun that im not happy with the quality-bending poles, fucked up stitching. But I like the design on that one with actually 2 different zippers to go in or out. It has the flat sips like a gorilla and the round ones like a jardin. So technically if one goes out I can use the other. My gorilla tent has a failing zipper.

1 Like

So I’ve been using the Plant House tent I linked above for a year now, and have zero complaints. The zipper and tent material are holding up great, and the structure is able to hold my lights, fan, and carbon filter up no problem. No experience with other tent brands, but I would surely recommend Plant House tents as a good value.

I wound up building a two layer trellis frame out of pvc to go inside the tent. Really helps to keep the walls from sucking in too far from the ventilation.

1 Like