Grow More Food

What lights are you rocking?

Sweet ass setup!

Potato beds…keep stacking em up as the potatos grow. Iv not done this with tires, but I have with a large outside trash can. Instead of stacking another tire, I just add more dirt…potatoes want grow below the seed potatoe…

1 Like

My husband always used tires. I’ve got cages going with the same vine and fill method

1 Like

Was busy today finishing up the watering system…this year I replaced all the soaker hoses … all 400ft…

In a couple of weeks I’ll add straw to this potato bed…
When it gets warm enough, I’ll plant the sweet potatoes… call her done…

14 Likes

found a tiller/cultivator for cheap and prepped our outdoor garden today!! Super excited to grow food, not grass! what’s your favorite plant to grow (other than cannabis)? thanks!!

4 Likes

16 Likes

Just got my garden plowed in other day I’m lil late . But its beautiful ground I dumped indoor grow leftovers for years there.

I always miss the damn potatoes,onions, and lettuces season, fuck my life

Also I’m building and in ground green house. gonna bury some shipping containers one day also as my land is elevated terraces

13 Likes

We’re looking for a house/property now, so I don’t have a cool garden to show off currently.

The kids and I built a vermicompost bin yesterday. Pretty excited for the castings in a few months.

7 Likes

We turned our 3rd greenhouse into the veggie house. Pretty stoked to get back into growing our own food again. It’s been about 3 years since I’ve been able to. Anyone else use Blumats? They’re soaker is awesome for the beds and works with their carrots. Also runs on like 2-3 psi so perfect for gravity systems

19 Likes

Last picture was an accident

2 Likes

Here’s my little Urban garden project. I use Sub Irrigation Planters (SIPS)

19 Likes

Still nice vegetables :drooling_face:

1 Like

Starting on my homestead, so far got some raised beds and a ton more soil to make more raised beds with.

Also got a couple dozen hens and a few roosters. Working on an electric fence to ward off predators. Installing motion sensors and solar powered motion activated flood lights around the chickens to be alerted if I need to get up in the middle of the night with my shotgun/ar-15 to scare off any predators.

I had some issues at my last property with a bear that broke into my chicken coop and grabbed a few chickens, also a family of skunks got a few too so I’m getting more serous about security.

For crops I have a bunch of seed potato I’m planting soon as well as black beans. Thinking the beans in raised beds and stacking tires for the potatoes.

My wife will be taking the lead on growing an assortment of veggies.

This property is setup off/on grid, have a spring up on the mountain gravity feeding a cistern and direct line to my house and the gravity pressure is enough to take showers, run washer etc. Went with a tankless water heater powered by batteries and propane. There’s also a backup well with pump wired to a generator that can run on either gas or propane.

On the to-do list is setting up a 10kw solar array with bank of 6v golf batteries like @Future suggested.

I plan to clear an acre of these stumps and tilling up the land for more food production and possibly live stock too, I made a deal with the logging company for more of the land behind my property.

I used to grow gourmet mushrooms years ago so also planning firing up my autoclave and laminar flowhood and growing shiitakes on bags of sawdust in my 40ft shipping container like roger rabbit on Shroomery used to do.

I plan on getting this property setup more permaculture but with a mycological twist.

Would also like to innoculate the surrounding forest trees with wooden dowls of various mushroom species too.

15 Likes

6 raised beds (front), 4 rows (back), and chickens to the right. All soil comes from emptying cannabis pots after each harvest. It requires daily work: Weeding, planting, collecting eggs, and collecting and putting everything away at night.

One lesson learned: Don’t leave your water on in the garden on accident if you are on city water. It cost us about $400 last year. We ate lighter for a couple months on a tight budget.

Potatoes, beef steak tomatoes, beans, peppers, and a bunch of herbs and hops everywhere (fence). There are three seasons for Oregon: Winter/ early spring planting, summer stuff, and Croptober. Most seeds came from previously grown and dried items, so I’m not sure what we are actually growing sometimes, just that it’s a cucumber or squash lol. We label sources really well now.

9 Likes

)

15 Likes

Looks good, lemme know when you need some more help up there.

Okies have a reputation for being good workers on the land :+1:t4:

1 Like

The other day I was doing dishes, and i can see our duck pen from the window over the sink. Its morning, just after breakfast, kids are doing their normal rambunctious pajama shit…ducks splashing around in their baby pool…

The ducks start honking their asses off, as I notice the tussle begin in the pen.

There’s two stray dogs in there with the ducks, they hopped the four foot enclosure.

There’s no time to get my wrist rocket, plus, adrenalines already got me thinking I’m gonna wrestle these bitches like judah and the lion or some shit.

I’m out the door, and I leap over the fence, landing in what im sure was an iron man stance, and in one motion kick the closest dog (which at this point was closing down its jaws on a fluffy duck body) as hard as I’ve ever kicked anything in my fucking life.

That got their attention, and the ducks waddled in their little duck house, but now one dogs whimpering over in a corner, and the other one wants a peice. And i realize I gotta figure out how to open the gate from the inside. Two latches. One near the ground. Neither one of which were reachable by me.

I shrugged my shoulders, realizing I had only one option: kick the shit out of the other dog, hop the fence and open the gate for them like a doorman in some fancy hotel.

Moral: never miss a chance to do something epic in front of your kids, keep them ducks in a row :kissing_heart:

16 Likes

Damn, and I thought wreatling the little old lady for the last loaf of bread was intense.

Lol

Good on you saving the duckies. Food or pets?

2 Likes

We use the eggs, but they’re mostly pets. Duck eggs are super rich for baking. They make awesome pancakes and waffles

7 Likes

We’ve lost more chickens and ducks to stray/loose dogs over the years than we have to raccoons, opossums, hawks, and coyotes combined.

3 Likes