Grounding

Sup guys so I’m curious what you guys have to say about grounding your machines. I’m about to hook up a bucket immersion heater for my recovery and I just want to make sure I’m safe from static spark. The heater will be hooked up to a temp controller on a gfci. Do I need to ground my rack,columns,collection, solvent tanks? And if so can I hook it up to the houses ground rod or does it need to be solely for the equipment?

1 Like

You’re gonna hook up an immersion heater? Like, a C1D1 one?

Nah it’s just a waterproof bucket heater some people on here suggested to get

Gesail 1500W Electric Immersion Heater, UL-Listed Bucket Water Heater with 304 Stainless-Steel Guard, Submersible Bucket Heater with Thermostat and Auto Shutoff, Heats 5 Gallons Water in Minutes Amazon.com

Ah. Well you probably don’t want to hear anything else I have to say on the matter.

Lol

5 Likes

I don’t have the money for a jacketed collection atm and I need to stop burning my concentrates

Bonding your equipment is very important, yes. As long as the equipment is touching the framing just bond the rack. And seperate solvent tank. Though the hose is metal and passes current from the tank to equipment, it’s still good practice.

6 Likes

Not gunna lie I’m scared to put any electrical in a water bath next to a bunch of solvent

1 Like

As you should be.

6 Likes

Okay can I just run a ground wire from the splitter in the breaker box?

Sad thing is I have 2 recirculators just no jacketed columns yet

Place the heater in a separate insulated container and use a submersible pump to recirculate the water

3 Likes

That’s my plan but can’t the currant travel through the water though

Put the hoses of the recirculator in a bucket, have a reservoir that your heater is in away from where you extract.

Sorta like piping heater lines but just use 2 buckets.

3 Likes

So recirculate to a bucket and back…

Don’t put the ignition source next to the bomb.

That is stupid.

Period.

Edit: beaten to it by @ExTek90 :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

Yes. So grounding the (metal) bucket the heater is in and using a GFI outlet is advised.

2 Likes

I’m in an area with sandy soil, so we drive a couple extra ground rods and daisy chain them together just to make sure

3 Likes