Grounding extraction equipment

Hey everyone, I’m hoping someone can lend some advice/criticism on the grounding/bonding of my extraction system.

I plan to operate in a 14’x24’ metal structure. The only power running to the building is via extension cord for my allegro explosion proof fan, with explosion proof plug/outlet. Everything else is battery operated.

So far, I have driven three 8’ grounding rods, around the building, attaching them to the frame with 4awg Bare thick stranded copper and mechanical lugs.

Two of the mechanical lugs are two way. I plan on coupling one to my extractor, and the other to my explosion proof fan/explosion proof ducting.

In doing so, this would bond the whole system together. I guess my question here is should the whole system be bonded together? Or should the extractor have it’s own isolated grounding rod?

God forbid the blower shorts out, I feel it would be wise to not have it bonded to the extractor.

Any advice/criticism would be greatly appreciated, thanks

2 Likes

Is anyone using ionizers? Can anyone recommend good brands?

You want everything bonded to everything pretty much. If the fan is bonded to the system, it would have to essentially arc to itself.

3 Likes

That makes sense. Thank you

1 Like

If the blower ground was bonded to the extractor ground, and the blower shorts out you would have 2 different paths to ground thru the bonding cable and a third through the ground on the romex or power cord that is feeding the blower itself.

Hard to say exactly what code is without knowing where you are but a GFCI/AFCI breaker on your blower would also provide another degree of protection, but even without one a hazloc certified blower should be suitably encased to not provide an ignition source even if it does fail or otherwise short out internally.

3 Likes

Good call, I’ll be swapping out the breaker for a gfci. It’s a pretty damn nice blower, I’m not worried about it. Just trying to play through all possible scenarios before going live

2 Likes

GFCI’s have a tendency to not play well with motor loads, I believe AFCI would be the better choice.