Greeting! New to SPD system

Hello everyone, hope this find you well. I am currently running a 2L SPD system turn key kit off of lab society and have some preliminary questions and hoping for references to scholarly article or detailed attempts in with this system. I have gone over the step by step found in this forum but I guess my questions are more basic.
1.) is a continuous vacuum pulled over the system during the process or do you turn off the pump once deep vacuum is achieved. I would assume the second law of thermodynamics creates a pull with a acetone and dry ice slurry?
2.) when measuring temperature difference between boiling point of chemicals at room temperature and under vacuum, CBD has a rough boiling point of 180 degrees C, however once under a deep vacuum it drops to 112 degrees roughly, so why do I read about individuals setting their mantle to 220C, is it a matter of head temp vs bowl temp?
3.) what references have y’all used to help with process as you forge ahead? Happy to read and learn on my own and return with confirmation on good or bad information.

Lastly thank you for your time and reading over this. Very excited to learn and grow. Best wishes. Beans!

2 Likes

1)Continuous vacuum
2) Mantle temp is just the setting on the mantle, you need to reach proper internal temperature, and head temp.
3) Be ready to spend countless hours reading through threads that you might think are irrelevant, but hold valuable nuggets of information that will shape your understanding of this. Countless hours.

5 Likes

Thank you for the response, any threads you would recommend, and in regards to head temp, what should it be in relation to the materials reacting in the mantle and procuring oil out of the head with the difference in temps from the mantle to the head?

1 Like

If your head temp is below your desired compounds evaporation point, then it will never reach your condenser.

I would highly recommend searching specific key words in futures search bar, and prepared to go through ALOT of articles (if not every last one). You will not find everything you need to know in 4-5 threads. Ive been reading for a long time and am still learning. Also, youtube videos.

Heres the best answer you can get, here on these forums you will find EVERYTHING you need to become successful in extraction. At the least the basics every extractor needs to know. Mastery will only come after you’ve learned these things, then further dedicated countless hours in a lab.

Heres a spoon fed tip for you: learn about preprocessing before distill. Vaccum filter, water washing, etc. Took me quite a while to realize that SPD is only 1 component in the symphony that is making distillate.

6 Likes

Awesome thank you for the info! I’ll start looking into the key words and hunker down tonight and start looking through the forum more

1 Like