Goodbye Explosion-Proof Electronics, Hello Air Logic

The title says it all, but here is an article to explain the technology in depth:

https://www.clippard.com/cms/wiki/how-avoid-electrical-hazards-air-logic

I have been hard at work for the past few
months delving deep into the world of pneumatically driven automation and computer numerical control-
Amongst other things-

I have become absolutely fascinated by air logic- is anyone else here utilizing these systems in their facilities? If so please share-

I will be releasing several designs utilizing air logic over the course of the next month, and I’d like to encourage you folks to look into viewing air as a liquid.

Here’s a circuit that I’m working with right now, once it clicks… it clicks.

7 Likes

Just a thought on the explosion proof electronics… What’s stopping people from using something like Noalox to completely insulate the insides of all of their electronic componentry? Technically speaking it wouldn’t’ allow for spark because there would be no air in there, and everything would hopefully be fully insulated from air.
Sorry if this seems ignorant…Better to ask and find out than wonder and never know…

3 Likes

Nothing stops people from making their equipment safer-

Except of course, cost and convenience

Regulations exist because people have died

Nearly every single safety regulation that shapes our working lives are written in human blood, remember that.

4 Likes

There’s a myriad of ways to make something explosion proof. That is one method, but I believe it would have to be certified at the factory level on each sealed component. I don’t think you could just fill something with oil and get it passed in an inspection. On the other hand we do use pressure and purge panels which takes a standard nema 4x box and components and makes it class 1.

2 Likes

Long ago, i worked briefly on a system that worked on this principle. A column flushing extractor that had pneumatic valves and a pneumatic switch box to control it. It certainly did the trick. We ended up just switching to bucket tech though

3 Likes

yup…

2 Likes

what’s the mill you’re using? the 3018?

1 Like

I got a 3040 set up for bench prototyping and there are a whole slew of custom made tables here, you should swing through sometime

2 Likes

Everything old is new again.
when I started working in the petrochem industry in the early '70’s, most control equipment was pneumatic.
Tuning a three mode (proportional, derivative and integral) controller that was fully pneumatic took some learning but they worked fine.
Electronic controllers are vastly cheaper.

3 Likes

Are you sure Noalox is the product you meant to refer to? The Noalox I’m familiar (Ideal brand) with is a greasy grey goo in a squeeze bottle used to prevent oxidation on aluminum terminals, wires and cable ends, or where aluminum and copper conductors meet.

Did you perhaps mean something like Crouse-Hinds Chico, which is already used to seal electrical passageways such as conduit around wires?

1 Like

A pneumatic PID!? I can’t even begin to wrap my head around how that would work, that’s some fucking bad ass mechanical computing

4 Likes

Not necessarily Noalox itself, but something similar. I mean I don’t know about you but I have used Noalox to great effect when working on outboard engines, and the like. Granted it’s not made specifically for blanketing connections, but it will certainly work in a pinch, and it will certainly keep water and air out. Until it gets hot enough to leak out of the connections…

@Capttripppp I guess where I want to blanket connections to prevent water ingress I just use a purpose specific dielectric grease. I’d be worried about using Noalox on high potential connections because of the zinc content providing a path to ground or other places that it could leak to and weaken or short out what you want going to the spark plugs.

I was personally just thinking that Noalox doesn’t retain shape as dispensed, using it to cover the inside of an electrical panel would mean a bunch dripping out whenever you opened it up to adjust or change something

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I meant by my last sentence… It was an example really, not the rule…
The dielectric grease would have been a better example. I wasn’t thinking that anyone would run out an add Noalox to their connections

That’s what I’m saying!

1 Like

Noalox is to prevent oxidation when using copper with aluminum it would not stop oxygen from being in vicinity

It’s goop Bro… I already admitted that using that was a poor example… Really the only time I every used Noalox is when I’m terminating a panel. Those are really the only connections, unless it’s an underground connection I would use Noalox in the joints.

They actually make this stuff called Chico they use in the plants, they have these special fitting that they fill with the stuff do a fire can’t run through the conduit.

Cant say it’s any safer than duct tape for this purpose, but if anyone is interested https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/fittings/chico-a-and-chico-x-sealing-compounds-and-fiber.html

I know exactly what you’re talking about. My dad was a Master Electrician, and I have the hours to get my journeyman’s, but there isn’t a journeyman’s law in FL. I can make more money being a carpenter (which I am by trade) in FL than doing electrical work. I did build a couple of hospitals with Enterprise Electric when the housing market fell out in 08.

Oh that’s what’s up. I have a lot of respect for contractors/electricians, I’m just a guy behind a computer who sends the material out I’m in distribution.

I’ve got boat loads of respect for some contractors/electricians the work some of these guys put in is insane. People don’t realize how much goes into it .

2 Likes