Good alternatives/replacements for YHChem distillate pumps?

Have a customer with a YHChem wiped film with this style of gear pumps: Installation video for gear pump---YHCHEM - YouTube

I’ve seen a few bitches about them on here, between galling/seizing and leaking air. Though the surface finishes seem nice when new (and assuming none of your techs beats the shit out of them with a hammer getting them apart since) I see a number of design flaws for a high vacuum application, not the least of which is that one side has a shaft held & centered by the adjustable packing/seal gland stack, and the other is basically just a (hopefully) round shaft in a (hopefully) round bore that (hopefully) doesn’t contact and gall or leak a bunch, but in practice often does, and polishing the bore and shaft is only a temporary fix since every thousandth of material taken off makes holding deep vacuum levels even harder to achieve.

Curious if anyone on here has had luck replacing your OEM gear pumps with something else and curious what you used. Client just told me they were quoted $4500/ea for replacement pumps from the OEM.

3 Likes

They are garbage. I have really good pumps that don’t leak and won’t give you any issues. I can also supply then with milled trace heat lines.

2 Likes

What do your gear pumps cost? We want to provide upgraded alternatives that don’t break the bank for clients with similar issues

2 Likes

$6,500 on the site for a discharge pump… “But I got you Fam, just call me up…”

2 Likes

First of all our gear pumps are different. Standard gear pumps use a gear head, and a vfd motor. Ours use a gear head that’s been modified and has trade heat installed in port form Wich is wire edm cut. Then has a trans box. Then has a stepper motor and a stepper control system. It’s a bargain as it sits.

2 Likes

Epic thats a good deal

1 Like

I read of people replacing the seals inside them Chinese pumps and voila… better than new

Wasn’t knocking it, just translating what I saw! Of Course it’s nice, and has cool mods… It wouldn’t be yours if wasn’t/didn’t…

These pumps have no problem sealing on the side that has seals, but one side doesn’t have any seals at all, which is a terrible design flaw IMO. Watch the vid I linked above, the side opposite the drive gear has no support to keep it centered and prevent it from rubbing (and consequently galling) on the back plate bore.

1 Like

Ahh shit eh, I personally have been looking at witte and others

if the OEM ones suck, and cost $4500, what’s the issue with $6500 for ones that actually work?

other than “damn, $13k? Hope they work…”

3 Likes

That part always makes me chuckle

3 Likes