Golden book of chemistry experiments

Thanks to @vortal for bringing this up

Too big to upload here’s a current link: https://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/Brent_GBC.pdf

18 Likes

Its so sad that chemistry is no longer pushed on people like it used to be.

8 Likes

Can’t go leaving children behind now

8 Likes

I do chemistry experiments with my kids all the time! they absolutely love it!

12 Likes

The book is absolutely amazing. It really holds so much information. But it really is not safe for a novice, let alone a child. Some of the experiments are dangerous, I assume to make them interesting. And their safety standard is representative of the books age.

4 Likes

hey bucko wanna learn how to make a fusion reactor?

1 Like
3 Likes

This sure beats textfiles.com and A. Cookbook. Never would have seen this had you not posted, many thanks!

3 Likes

RE high-school chemistry experiments, I was fortunate to get a much better chemistry education in HS than I ever did in college. I had a mad scientist of a teacher who scared the shit out of all of us. I’ll never forget our second or third lab where he brought in his little dog which im sure was the only thing he loved in life and then had us doing titrations with chromate solutions. He made it very clear that if we dropped anything and the dog got it, the dogs life was over and so was ours :grimacing:. Allegedly about 10 years before he taught us, he used to do a lab with elemental mercury. Instead of paying to have the glassware disposed of, he’d wrap it up in a box like a Christmas present, ride the subway, and pretend to be asleep until someone stole it. Kind of a sick fucker but I certainly learned a lot.

17 Likes

Great thread!

2 Likes