Glycosylation of Cannabinoids

Hi all,

Someone sent me this the other day and the lid bout blew off my head.

A merging of cannabinoids and bio pharmaceutical processes like I’ve never seen/heard of before.

Anyone got a fermentation vessel, plate homogenizer, disc stack centrifuge and extensive plasmid production experience?

104349v1.full.pdf (1.8 MB)

Currently, a company named Trait Biosciences is manufacturing this product—supposedly.

14 Likes

I got the plasmid production/design…

3 Likes

I’ve ran some homogenization and made plenty of fermented stuff, but that’s only in the beverage realm.

A very good friend of mine is working on his second post doc in yeast stuff though. He likes sciencey things. He was the one that told me about sco2 fermentation. Seemed pretty novel.

2 Likes

This is all done with E. Coli.

@cyclopath you got some kinda PCR system laying around? Stevia isn’t that hard to come by…

1 Like

No. But they are relatively inexpensive (Eg: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304294083429), and I’m certain I could convince the column oven on an SRI GC (which I do have lying around) to imitate one sufficiently well to get the job done, in under 10min.

9 Likes

OpenPCR /chaibio has a dual beam for $8k that’s pretty awesome… Been eyeing it for awhile.

6 Likes

What you got in mind?!?

You don’t need “real time” or qPCR to build constructs or clone.

Their older ($500) builds are more than sufficient.

https://openpcr.org/

Vs Open qPCR Machine: Your Personal Real-Time PCR Machine | Chai

And once upon a time, pcr was achieved with three temp blocks/water baths, and an undergrad with a lab timer…(substitute 3 sous vide and a wook with a watch).

Which is where stratagene came up with the robocycler

6 Likes

Quantitative microbials/mold faster mostly, apposed to an MPN method.

Wouldn’t mind playing around with some crispr knockdowns and knockouts. Having dual channel/beam validation at that price point is super appealing also.

I figure $8k is an easy pay off at $25 a wop for microbials, and I reduce my lead time by 2 days. I have a unique market where I am not required to lab test my product, but I do provide that data.

3 Likes

I have protein production and isolation experience. I was eventually planning on scaling up a bio-reactor with sensors and such. Curious to see if there’s any interest for this type of system. Also be a good idea to come up with a better method for protein isolation considering it’s the most expensive step in the whole process.

Gotcha, yeah, for that you DO want qPCR…