Glassware

Who is the plug or preferred vendor on glassware? Did a quick search and couldn’t find a definitive answer.

Looking for 3000 & 5000ml beakers.

TIA

@david

3 Likes

@htking could offer too

If you plan to heat up beakers use Corning. You’ll thank me later. Don’t go China. You’ll just have a accident and lose material all over your table and floor.

2 Likes

Go with china glass. You’ll be fine, don’t listen to @spdking

3 Likes

Id have to agree with @spdking here, ive had a 5 liter erlenmeyer implode on me before and it was BARELY even put under light vac. Note that this was sold with a 2L buchner funnel and according to the seller, vacuum was its intended application. After that day ive decided to never use china glass for anything over ~2L again. I also dont use it for anything that needs to get heated or cooled, or vacuum’ed. (side note the supplier was very apologetic and sent me another one for free immediately, its been sitting since i got it and ill probably never use it. Implosions are not fun, it was more like an explosion than anything. Luckily I was wearing all the proper PPE or else id probably be blind right now)

*go with Chinese glass from a reputeable supplier, like @david

4 Likes

Just looked at my ebay history, this was a couple of years ago at this point when I was still working out of my garage lol. Seller was deschem, avoid them like the plauge. I was picking up pieces of glass for a longggg time.

2 Likes

Safety aside (if you can say that) I honestly have a bone to pick with Corning Pyrex; their precision is for ass on the cheap stuff.

Now, I’ve worked with optical grade quartz lenses for laser applications in medium pressure vessels (10ksi) from them. They can for sure make some crazy stuff. But for beakers and flasks, I have real complaints about their products. Beakers always have that shitty groove that makes them a pain to clean out and prone to cracking. If they mark something +/- 5%, you can be damn sure it’ll be off by 5% on the nose. And I swear one in five pieces have a spout that will make you spill no matter what you do.

I feel like there is room here for someone (or many someones) to fill a gap that Corning has left in the market. Beakers are no longer their core competency.

3 Likes

I like kimble/kontes for beakers

I’ve worked with Jack Kontes on several projects. Super high tech glass guys over there. Unfortunately, they were baught out by Asahi.

1 Like

Asahi is literally one of the worst companies out there. Outsource everything they can.