ghetto centrifuge

Hey Folks
Did a little searching to see if anyone has tried this. A washing machine runs 900-1200 rpm during spin cycle.

Do you think it would be possible to make a ghetto centrifuge if I could hack the relays on this to not have liquid drain on spin, or am I pipe dreaming.

1. super cold ethanol on the intake line
  2. spin cycle hacked to not drain automatically
  3. soak cycle
  4. spin and spin again
  5. drain into a conical fermenter

Don’t beat me up too bad I’m a noob, trying to figure out a way to do decent extraction without paying 80k for a delta.

1 Like

Thanks defender. I saw this. With regards to tek, pretty similar. Just wondering how it would handle the cold ethanol, make use of the existing drain components. You ever see anyone use it in that way?

You could use a dry spinner. A unit that does 3200RPM is available on amazon for $150 including shipping.

2 Likes

The “Panda” spinner ones online/Amazon/eBay are pretty standard use around these parts.

1 Like

And they hold up to cryo temps. Witness the dragon.

1 Like

why would you not want the drain open during spin?

wash.
then spin.

spinning at 1200rpm with the drain shut seems to defeat the whole point of turning gravity up…your solvent will also try and come out the lid at you.

Edit: ask me how I know :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve heard those fancy LG top loaders without the center post can do some work.

1 Like

ahhh that’s my inexperience speaking. I didn’t know if the spin was only for draining or it it was needed for something else. @cyclopath

haha, the panda, that’s badass. going to look into that.

thx @tweedledew and @Demontrich

@pollenmaster I have one of those LG at home. If it’s not electrically more complex , would be perfect.

edit: consolidated my responses into 1 post.

1 Like