Getting started in analytical chemistry: Spectrophotometry and Analysis for R&D

I’ve noticed in threads over the last year or so that a lot of folks either have no experience with or want to learn more about analytical chemistry for themselves or their career. I didn’t see really any threads on the subject but wanted to create a space for the discussion.

I’ll start with some overview. A lot of you guys are used to the concept of chromatography as a sample prep or purification method. But the concept of Spectrophotometry at large for analysis is often new territory.

In chemical analysis, at least as it relates to cannabis R&D, we more or less are seeking to answer two questions. What it is it? How much of it is there?

We answer these questions by using one of the most essential components of the universe, light.

Spectrophotometry, what is it?

Wikipedia defines it as “In chemistry, spectrophotometry is the quantitative measurement of the reflection or transmission properties of a material as a function of wavelength.[2] It is more specific than the general term electromagnetic spectroscopy in that spectrophotometry deals with visible light, near-ultraviolet, and near-infrared, but does not cover time-resolved spectroscopic techniques.”

To start understanding this concept better, it would be good to understand Beer’s Law.

“Beer’s Law is an equation that relates the attenuation of light to properties of a material. The law states the concentration of a chemical is directly proportional to the absorbance of a solution. The relation may be used to determine the concentration of a chemical species in a solution using a colorimeter or spectrophotometer”

There are many instruments and techniques used to do this, but I will try to keep the scope of this limited to instruments generally used in our industry.

When talking about the instruments used to conduct these applications, we should probably split them into two overlapping, but somewhat individual concepts of Structural Elucidation and Constituent Quantification.

Structural Elucidation is the process used to determine the chemical structure of a compound. The instrument most notably associated with this is NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) spectroscopy.

“NMR is a spectroscopic technique to observe local magnetic fields around atomic nuclei. The sample is placed in a magnetic field and the NMR signal is produced by excitation of the nuclei sample with radio waves into nuclear magnetic resonance, which is detected with sensitive radio receivers. The intramolecular magnetic field around an atom in a molecule changes the resonance frequency, thus giving access to details of the electronic structure of a molecule and its individual functional groups.”

Constituent Quantification is the process of determining what compounds are present in a sample and what percentage of the sample they are.

In our industry, and many others, the most notable instruments used for this are TLC, HPLC, LCMS, and GCFID/MS

"Thin-layer chromatography (TLC) is a chromatography technique used to separate non-volatile mixtures.[1] Thin-layer chromatography is performed on a sheet of glass, plastic, or aluminium foil, which is coated with a thin layer of adsorbent material, usually silica gel, aluminium oxide (alumina), or cellulose. This layer of adsorbent is known as the stationary phase.

High-performance liquid chromatography ( HPLC ; formerly referred to as high-pressure liquid chromatography ) is a technique in analytical chemistry used to separate, identify, and quantify each component in a mixture. It relies on pumps to pass a pressurized liquid solvent containing the sample mixture through a column filled with a solid adsorbent material. Each component in the sample interacts slightly differently with the adsorbent material, causing different flow rates for the different components and leading to the separation of the components as they flow out of the column”

Mass spectrometry ( MS ) is an analytical technique that measures the mass-to-charge ratio of ions. The results are typically presented as a mass spectrum, a plot of intensity as a function of the mass-to-charge ratio. Mass spectrometry is used in many different fields and is applied to pure samples as well as complex mixtures.”

Liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry ( LC-MS ) is an analytical chemistry technique that combines the physical separation capabilities of liquid chromatography (or HPLC) with the mass analysis capabilities of mass spectrometry (MS).”

Gas chromatography–mass spectrometry ( GC-MS ) is an analytical method that combines the features of gas-chromatography and mass spectrometry to identify different substances within a test sample.[1]"

The structural elucidation of cannabinoids in particular began way back in 1932 with CBN, followed by CBD in 1963, and D9THC in 1964. The other major and minor cannabinoids began to be isolated and elucidated in the 1970s. Structural elucidation is a very important piece of understanding molecules, we can better understand the compounds at hand this way, and is a large component of how we know the molecular structures that even cannabis amateurs are familiar with today. However, chemical structure is not necessarily required to conduct chemical analysis for a laboratory. We can also use the information from structural elucidation to predict what the biological action of a compound may be and how to approach purification and extraction, among many other things.

By making use of constituent quantitative analysis in a company R&D/QA lab we can make more effective decisions on the product development process, better protect consumers, and meet compliance standards.

Citations:

Edits: added basic information

16 Likes

If anyone is interested I can compile everything I used when I taught at University of Denver. I have pretty much everything you need to figure this out and teach yourself.

16 Likes

Oh yes, I was going to provide some links to good literature on the subject. One of the byproducts of my career has been the amassing of books and papers, many of which are available online as etext these days.

6 Likes

I love this. I will put together everything I have collected as well.

4 Likes

Great resource. Could be formatted better, but it’s free.:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Here’s a little bit more depth on Beers law, this was a bit hard for me to understand at first, but it’s very easy to comprehend once you get it.

"The Beer–Lambert law , also known as Beer’s law , the Lambert–Beer law , or the Beer–Lambert–Bouguer law relates the attenuation of light to the properties of the material through which the light is travelling. The law is commonly applied to chemical analysis measurements and used in understanding attenuation in physical optics, for photons, neutrons, or rarefied gases. In mathematical physics, this law arises as a solution of the BGK equation.

This expression is:
A=eLc

({\displaystyle A=\varepsilon \ell c})

Where

• {\displaystyle \varepsilon }arepsilon |0x0 is the molar attenuation coefficient or absorptivity of the attenuating species
  • {\displaystyle \ell }ll |0x0 is the optical path length
  • {\displaystyle c}c|0x0 is the concentration of the attenuating species"
1 Like

It was a pain to format the equation for Beers law so here’s an image downloadfile

3 Likes

What’s the usage of spectrophotometry or any UV-visible spectroscopy in cannabis/ hemp?

2 Likes

I should have specified that spectrophotometry bit was background, and didn’t include a bit on spectrometry so I’ll add It here

" Spectroscopy refers to the study of how radiated energy and matter interact. The energy is absorbed by the matter, creating an excited state. When the matter is a metal, it is easy to see the interaction of energy and matter because the metal will produce visible evidence, usually as sparks. The interaction creates some form of electromagnetic waves (EM), often in the form of visible light, such as sparks.

Spectrometry deals with the measurement of a specific spectrum. There are four primary types of spectrometers:

Mass spectrometry
Neutron triple axis spectrometry
Ion-mobility spectrometry
Rutherford backscattering spectrometry"

Thanks for catching that @broken_glassware

2 Likes

Phenolic compounds absorb strongly in the UV and thus UV-Vis is very useful for our needs.

1 Like

I’ve got about a dozen

1 Like

Maybe as a fraction finder for short path but seems like that’s just a substitute for experience…
I’m all ears if there’s more
@AlexSiegel @NoHeatNoVacuum

I’m really interested in your info! I have been trying to teach myself for a little while now, but has definitely been a struggle not coming from a chemistry background

3 Likes

Quality post, thank you for sharing

3 Likes

Are you referring to the usefulness of UV-Vis?

For hemp/cannabis, yes. My understanding is it’s good for systems with only a few components whereas I’ve only worked with complex mixtures in the hemp world. Yes there’s isolate and I suppose you could make a case that a diode array detector on an hplc is spectrophotometry but that’s like saying GC-FID is a flame detection technique (not entirely untrue but lol)

So if you’ve found some interesting ways to use UV-vis I’d like to learn about this as I enjoy spectroscopy

1 Like

2005-Spectroscopicdataofcannabinoids.pdf (683.8 KB)

There’s a start. They have UV-Vis spectra for the major 11 or 12 cannabinoids.

A number of terpenes can be distinguished with UV-Vis.

2 Likes

The cannabis industry needs to embrace in-house analytics bad. No one in the food space does not have their own in-house analytics, you have to be able to call the outside labs on their BS. In the food industry, you report a value that doesn’t match in-house testing and they make you run it again. You mess up enough and you lose the business. Same thing needs to be going on to weed out the junk labs.

2 Likes

$120 annually for an individual membership. That gets you access to their library of official methods. Anyone with more than 3 or so different lab instruments should do this.

4 Likes

A big part of conducting proper and reliable analysis are methods, consistency, accuracy, and ethics.

Your methods for both sample prep and using instrumentation should be designed for a consistant and reliable process which yields accurate results with limited deviation. Staff should be well trained, sample prep tools such as micropipettes should be kept in good working order and tested for accuracy. Instruments should be routinely calibrated by qualified individuals, and standards should be stored properly and replaced as needed.

Small mistakes with dilution and calculation can lead to wildly inaccurate results, and this leads into a broader concept…ethics.

In house R&D labs certainly don’t have the same weight in terms of impact of unethical behavior, as 3rs party labs should theoretically catch these mistakes. However your in house lab is the first line of defense in consumer protection, and will have a great impact on the approval and development of products.

It is theoretically in the hands of the analytical technician to influence the outcome of analysis, intentional or not. Perhaps a potential product needs to meet a certain yield or purity to move forward with development, or perhaps you work in a more clandestine setting in which in house analysis is the last checkpoint before public consumption.

Perhaps one may work at an accredited state lab, giving the final call on batches in the legal marketplace.

Results can be influenced in this profession.

It is the duty of those conducting this analysis to work to the best of their ability to conduct precise and ethical analysis regardless of the setting.

Peoples health and mental well being, as well as the reputation and fiscal health of companies, are at stake. Conducting analysis should be a profession of honor, and those who cannot meet that challenge have no place in this setting.

2 Likes