Getting some jacketed 6x48 columns manufactured

Getting some jacketed 6x48 columns manufactured, we are planning on cooling jackets with liquid co2, does anyone know the required thickness of metal to have not have to worry about imploding? Manufacturer says they use 3MM thick metal.

2 Likes

I think you also need an expansion valve or something @JonaaronbrayAzoth has posted about this a bit

1 Like

You need to have a back pressure regulator on the jackets to keep steady flow of Co2 through the jackets. The minimum pressure you need to keep from freezing the Co2 is 75psi and your jackets need to withstand at least 200psi with a PRV on the jackets set to 180psi. The back pressure regulator can be simple needle valve on a manifold with a PRV and a pressure gauge.

10 Likes

Is there any way to purchase this set up from you? Hydrocarbon extraction is leaning towards direct co2 chilling

2 Likes

@JonaaronbrayAzoth so I need to figure out how thick the steel needs to be to withstand 200psi and the coldness of liquid c02 I been searching all day on Google but haven’t come up with a definitive answer. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it.

1 Like

I’m not sure on the thickness for ya but that’s probably what everyone else has. If they dare to check. Btw how will you warm the jacket to recover? Or do plan on cold boiling the column with an awesome pump?

1 Like

We currently use mvps to recover, we just want to chill material columns and dewax columns. We currently warm the jackets with hot water to recover, but haven’t thought of how were going to warm jackets after chilling with co2.

1 Like

Might be best to chill the solvent tank with co2

2 Likes

We wanted to get a -80 chiller from touchscience but we don’t have 3 phase power so we are leaning towards co2. We are also getting some 200lb tanks made but still need to find the recommended thickness of metal. We had a friend with xtractor depot tank implode.

Right I’m there with you co2 is probably way better. But how about chill the tank, it will boost your recovery and allow you to still warm your tubes

1 Like

@Apothecary36 I edited my last post.

1 Like

You should hit up bizzy bee

2 Likes

Don’t have those kind of funds, and china quoted 3mm thick stainless with jackets @$230 each.

@Apothecary36

3 Likes

@Apothecary36 even the xtractor depot columns are $599 plus tax, currently everything we have metal wise Is from xtractor depot with swagelok fittings. This route we can get everything built with compression fittings directly welded on system instead of using npt to compression adapters.

2 Likes

I have 6x24 double jacketed material column that is part of my current build. I plan on circulating probably ethanol through a closed copper coil or whatever fits in my injection coil pot via mag drive pump. I have my eye on the Blichman Riptide. Anyway, once it’s time for recovery I’ll pull the copper coil out of the injection coil bath, and place it in the hot water bath that’s pumped around the collection.

3 Likes

Is that shipped at that price? Looks just like bizzy columns

3 Likes

I would say if you intend to put a gas that can expand and create hundreds of PSI, definitely make sure you have a good quality PRV on the jacket and get it with at least 4mm thickness on the jacket. For vessels intended for this purpose we use 5mm for the tank and jacket, and do a double layered jacket, one for heat exchange with dimples for surface area, and a second jacket that is stuffed with insulation then welded shut under vacuum.

7 Likes

Not shipped, we are ordering about a pallet worth of stuff building a pretty decent sized system. They quoted 230 for jacketed 6x48 with 3mm stainless, 4mm $318 , 5mm $355, also for a 200lb solvent tank with double jackets all 5mm $1780. All welding in pictures looks really nice. Well see how it goes.

1 Like

Thank you for input really helps @GreenMachine_Consult

We always just buy our stuff from usa suppliers , but had a friend recommend we use one of his contacts in china, was looking at all the parts they sell, almost all the usa suppliers just rebrand the china stuff and charge triple the price. It’s almost sickening. I understand there’s costs of running a business and what not, and if you need a part asap you can get it fast. But if you can afford to wait it’s definitely worth it. I see a lot of the local welders hate on the china stuff but the steel they source comes from china, as long as you can find a shop in china to manufacture it correctly i don’t see the problem.

6 Likes