Getting a solid (not liquid) extract when running 1lb closed loop extractor with propane

Hi,

New to extractions. I’ve been getting this solid result in my collection chamber instead of a liquid.
I ran 3.5 pounds of propane thru 1.1 pound of material. During solvent recovery, the extract turns solid. It’s a nightmare to get it out of there. Once out though, it liquifies in the vac oven and produces a really nice slab.

Why is it turning solid? It looks like honeycomb toffee.

Thanks so much for any potential help :slight_smile:

Ran at what temp solvent ?
Old or fresh biomass
Most likely thc. -a with few terps
But I could be wrong

My thoughts would be it’s quickly losing solvent because it’s propane, leading to a more solidified extract during ‘pour’.

If you pulled it earlier, which with propane would likely require reducing temps again(not necessarily di cold, just cold), you’d get a more liquidy pour.

1 Like

Propane has a much lower boiling point than butane so it doesnt get jumbled up in all the terps when boiling out. It causes everything else in the extract to instantly crash out, however there is still a little bit of solvent (and relatively more terps than had you run using butane if super terpy material) so when you put it in your oven and warm it and start pulling the rest of the solvent out it’s melts into the supersaturated weirdness that is shatter

1 Like

because you’re using straight propane!!! (what’s the boiling point?)

if you want to pour, you either have to be a lot closer to the boiling point of propane, or add something with a higher boiling point (a cup or two of butane…).

how long are you leaving it in the oven (pretty much all you need to do is melt it…). I’d guess a couple of hrs at 100f and 30" vac will meet state standards, but I’ve always had butane in the mix.

3 Likes

given that it melts in the oven, I bet you can figure out another way of getting it out of your receiver…

6 Likes

shoot some butane and liquify it, or recover less solvent before pour.

1 Like